Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to swap springs for a set of progressives and need to replace the seals (one is leading a little).

I've read the inductions in the manual and watched the you tube vid, and both of them show the need to remove the damper.

My prob is that the PO ate up the head on one of the Allen bolts that hold the damper in place. My question for those in the know: does the damper have to come out to replace the seals?

If so, I'm faced with a few options for removing it:

1. Drive a larger Allen head socket into the bolt and try to remove it that way

2. Drill the head out of the Allen bolt and try to separate the remainder from the damper

3. Drill out the Allen bolt completely and chase the threads with a tap

Other options would include removing the head & replacing the damper ask the way up to replacing the whole darn thing

Any wisdom would be helpful..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
If you can grab the Allen bolt with an easyout, you might get lucky.
It sure is a lot easier if its free to move. In fact, I think you would have to to change the seals.
Which by the way, if you haven't bought them yet, rusty rider here in ohio (Newark) sells a nice seal. I just used them recently. They have a double spring instead of the stock single. It's like a double seal in one & their price was very reasonable

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
...how 'bout driving in an appropriate size "Torks" 3/8" drive or 1/2" drive socket ?

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got the easy out, Allen socket and torx sockets. Got an impact drive too. I am not sure about the easy out because the head is somewhat shallow and the thread lock on it. Definitely an option though.

The PO gave me a set of seals, new Allen bolts, copper washers and the retaining rings when I got it, so at least that's taken care of. I've just gotta get those dang bolts out...

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
I've been lucky before with a small chisel on the inside of the socket head, bump it loose and spin it out. Depends on the position and how tight, but you have 6 or 8 sides to tap on. I'd have to look my forks over to see what you're talking about.

Will be getting into mine in the future, assuming I hang onto the bike. When I was trying to bottom out the forks by hand, I heard a clunking noise from one of the fork legs. Spring binding maybe?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
If all you want is to replace the seals, You remove them both out the top. The first one comes off with just prying it off. The second inner seal has a keeper. once the keeper has been removed, you can use a dry wall screw to remove it. Screw the screw into the old seal and use a pair of pliers to pull the seal out. Be careful not to damage the shaft that slides against the seal.

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If all you want is to replace the seals, You remove them both out the top. The first one comes off with just prying it off. The second inner seal has a keeper. once the keeper has been removed, you can use a dry wall screw to remove it. Screw the screw into the old seal and use a pair of pliers to pull the seal out. Be careful not to damage the shaft that slides against the seal.
That's all I'm doing. I'll give it a try first.

Thanks!!

:smiley_th

·
Registered
856 Posts
Even though you should be able to change the seals without removing the allen bolt, I would still try to get the bolt out anyways.

If you are going to the trouble to change the springs, oil, and seals anyways, it only makes a more complete job to completely dissemble and clean out all the parts. (who knows when the last time this was done -if ever-)

Plus, next time you need to get in there and do the job again, it'll be a lot easier the next go around.

If the easy outs don't do the job of getting the bolt out, very carefully drilling the head out will allow you dissemble so that you can get the internals out. Then you should be able to easily remove the rest of the bolt with a pair of vice grips holding the damper in you hands.

but that's just my opinion.
I Wolfie's method posted above works pretty good.

·
bamafrankie
83 Posts
Hey jaz what I have found works best for me is a set of spiral bolt/pipe nipple extractors they are similar to easy outs but they don't go to a point so the hole don't have to be deep. Do a search on ebay that's where I got mine. Also I have put the ball side of a ball peen hammer on the allen bolt and tapped the hammer with another hammer just enough to close the allen in on the head of the bolt then tap a allen socket in the bolt. Good luck

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I ended up tearing them both all the way down. I don't think the oil has ever been changed in them... I think it was WillTech who said that it smells like rancid cat sheit (or something to that effect.. :rolleyes: ) and it did.

I did figure out a better way to compress the upper cap to get the snap ring in and out. The manual & videos show putting pressure on and trying to hold it while monkeying with the ring. I'm kinda liking this better...

Drilled the bad bolt down till I saw copper and punched it out with a drift. The rest of the dang bolt came out by hand.

So anyways, the oil's been changed, new seals and progressive springs are in and got both new tires on. Took her out for a 50 mi jaunt and its so nice :D. Smooth like butter passing a semi at 90. The slower stuff is way improved too.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I ended up tearing them both all the way down. I don't think the oil has ever been changed in them... I think it was WillTech who said that it smells like rancid cat sheit (or something to that effect.. :rolleyes: ) and it did.

I did figure out a better way to compress the upper cap to get the snap ring in and out. The manual & videos show putting pressure on and trying to hold it while monkeying with the ring. I'm kinda liking this better...

Drilled the bad bolt down till I saw copper and punched it out with a drift. The rest of the dang bolt came out by hand.

So anyways, the oil's been changed, new seals and progressive springs are in and got both new tires on. Took her out for a 50 mi jaunt and its so nice :D. Smooth like butter passing a semi at 90. The slower stuff is way improved too.

Hey, that's even better then my modifies C clamp that requires the tube to be dismounted and a couple of hose clamps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts