Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey could really use some help here. I'm a new rider and the 1994 vn750 I got had a bent clutch lever. I already bought the lever and can't figure out how to get it on. Any help would be great.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I haven`t had mine off, but I`ll tell you what I can.

First thing is check the clutch release lever on the engine. Push the lever in the normal direction of travel until you feel resistance when the clutch just begins to release. The gap in the lever should line up with the rib in the boss on the bevel gearcase. Remember this for when you are adjusting the cable on the new handlever.

There are two cable slack adjusters.

One is about halfway along the cable between the hand lever and the release lever on the transmission case.
It should be clipped to the left front down tube on the frame in plain sight.

The second is at the front of the clutch hand lever pivot.
Loosen the locknuts, then turn the adjusters in on both to get maximum slack in the cable.
Align the slots in the adjuster and locknut at the hand lever to remove the cable from the lever.

(Be careful of the little switch and button that extends and is exposed below gap when the lever is pulled back.
I recall someone saying it is easy to break, but not sure exactly what to watch for.)

Then remove the pivot bolt.

Install in reverse order.
Check that the clutch release lever gap lines up with rib on bevel gearcase as described above.

Set upper adjustment to 5-6 mm freeplay.
Then set middle adjuster just snug. Tighten locknut.
Go back to top adjuster and set final freeplay at 2-3 mm freeplay. Tighten locknut.

Should be good to go! :)

If I have missed anything, someone will correct me. :)

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Yep, thats it. Only difference in mine is it no longer has that little switch. I removed it, and connected the wires that go to it together. All that switch does is prevent the engine from starting in gear without the clutch in, and I thought I could figure out how not to do that myself. Those switches are prone to failure from corrosion, and can fail, leaving you stranded somewhere. There is another on on the sidestand, and it is even more prone to failure, especially if you ride in the rain much. It's right down there where it catches the spray from the front wheel. Needless to say, I removed that one too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks got the new clutch lever in just fine, but it doesn't snap back to fully engaged I have to push it forward is that just the new lever being tight or do I need to lubercate it?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Lubricating the cable might help too.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thanks got the new clutch lever in just fine, but it doesn't snap back to fully engaged I have to push it forward is that just the new lever being tight or do I need to lubercate it?

Thank you
Can you work the lever back and forth while watching the contact area between the clutch perch and lever.
Maybe you can see and feel a friction point between the two pieces when they come together.

If adjustment and lubrication don`t cure the problem, perhaps a light touch up with a small file is needed. An old ignition point file would work.
(I have a set of 10 small files of various shapes that are labelled "needle files", that would be perfect for the job.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts