Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I consider myself a parts replacer, not a mechanic. What is the estimated time of replacing a stator in a 2002 vn750? I have heard from 2 hrs to 16, which is a pretty big span of time. I also got a price of $366.00, is that in the ball park?
HELP!!!!!!

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Someone quoted you $366.00 for labor, or was it for the part itself? If its labor "GET IT IN WRITING" then they are only aloud to jack it up by 10%...LMAO. its closer to an 8 to 10hr job, due to a required motor pull. If it's for the parts you can find it alot cheaper on Ebay. Good luck

Peace:beerchug:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Absolutely a killer! I just put mine in the shop for this work and the guy apparently had never done this specific model because he called me almost apologetically when he had to tell me 10 hours @ 75$ an hour.. at least he was nice enough to cut me a little break!

It's a killer job. I wish I had the time to do it myself, it lets you get intimate with the bike. I just don't have the time and the season has passed me by without a ride.. I just couldn't take it anymore!

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
you have to absolutely pull the engine huh. that sucks. thanks for the info. by the way that price was for parts only.
IMHO, you should RUN from whoever said parts would be $366. Stators run around $100 or so. Unless your R/R is also toast (also around $100 I believe), that's WAAAAYYY overpriced. They want to get deep into your wallet.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
u dont have to completly drop it but its worth it... sure makes it easier and less worrie some... the 15 min of savings by not pulling the last 2 bolts and besides dont u want to clean off your frame while its out?

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
price on stators very but dot substitue price for crap im on stator 3 cause of those 100 dollar stators... im gonna ship mine out to lances guy this time
I bought one of those $100 stator over 10 thousand miles ago. Still running strong....hmmmmmmm

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
If it's your first time doing it, and you have absolutely everything you need on hand, it'll take you a weekend.

I can probably do it in 6 hours, unfortunately.

Jon

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
I bought one of those $100 stator over 10 thousand miles ago. Still running strong....hmmmmmmm
im sure in optimal driving conditions its great.... i just know i was heading through the dessert and it got a lil warm and the 2nd stator failed ... and the first one i put in got about 10k in 8 mo and when i had the motor apart i noticed a wire about to fail so i replaced it befor there was an issue and the latest was about 3 k on it... i just know im tired of this engine pull so im not gonna cut the cost corner this time... for the same price a lil cheaper and it takes a lil longer i'll know it was wrapped with good wire... if i could just pull the side of the case a stack a rotor in i would go the cheap quick route and stuff another one in .... if i can get 2 yrs without an engine pull i'll be happy :beerchug: granted i love the bike love love it ive ridden the piss out of her for a year and a half and aproachin 25k myself in this short span) im a ride or die fan 100k in the first three years of me ridin on an kaw ex 500

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
heres a walkthrough in my signature, sorry no pics but a lot of good info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts