Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter solenoid will only click on when hooked up to my power supply, so I think it has a partial short in the windings. Is there a source for a good starter solenoid that wires up the same as the original? I'm not shelling out almost $80 for a new from Kawasaki.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Any solenoid will work, as long as you can mount it, but technically, the stock one just hangs in a rubber boot, so there's no need for additional grounding. Just need to get the correct number of wires. 3 or 4 wire, I forget which ours has. (four wire I think)

Lawnmower solenoids start around $8, Ford solenoids are $12-20, but larger. Still plenty of room under the cover.

If your power supply isn't a fully charged battery, it likely doesn't put out enough amps to run the starter, unless it happens to be something like a 100 amp jump charger. A click is all you should get from a solenoid.

Are you sure the start button circuit is working? Mine died when the relay in the JB died, so I did the Two Wire mod. That relay in the JB is useless and redundant anyway.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran jumpers from the battery to the solenoid with no luck, so anything less than 14V will not activate the solenoid. The wiring is all working. See my thread, it's the 2nd stickied article down under electrical. I don't want a universal relay. There are some OE type replacements on eBay, but not sure of the quality.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
My mistake, I thought the $80 was a problem.

Not sure of the quality on ebay, unless they have the OEM parts tag with it.

The worst thing for a solenoid is to overheat the relay contacts with long cranking or a dragging starter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts