Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, newbie here. I picked up a project from a friend, a 1986 VN750. The engine was out of the bike because the stator needed replaced. The stator was replaced on the engine and we have the bike back together, but the change shaft isn't sticking out of the cover far enough to get the shifter lever on. It looks like it was rubbing the frame before being removed, but I can't say for sure. Any idea what did I or the previous owner do wrong and/or what I need to do to fix it?

Thanks for any help

·
2,502 Posts
There's a small circle clip that keeps the shift rod in place. It probably got pushed off when you pulled or re-installed the engine. See if you can get it to come back out, Maybe try a small pic of some sort. If you can get it to come back out then you just might need a spacer to hold it in place. You can use a small piece of tubing or some washers on the shaft to keep it in place once you are able to get the shifter back on. If not you'll have to pull the engine again.

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
There's a small circle clip that keeps the shift rod in place. It probably got pushed off when you pulled or re-installed the engine. See if you can get it to come back out, Maybe try a small pic of some sort. If you can get it to come back out then you just might need a spacer to hold it in place. You can use a small piece of tubing or some washers on the shaft to keep it in place once you are able to get the shifter back on. If not you'll have to pull the engine again.
+1.. also, that fix requires a case split (going deeper into the engine than just changing stator)

·
Registered
61 Posts
from memory there is 2 thin washers and 2 circle clips it should go washer on first then circle clip then circle clip then washer facing the outer case its the inner clip that comes off easy if you knock the shaft when rebuilding the engine you should be able to pull the shaft out and put a spacer on the out side of the case but it can be a pain when your trying to put the pedal back on has it wants to push the shaft in

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have a spare 700 engine fore parts/reference. I see the clips/washers you're talking about. Hopefully this gets it fixed and on the road!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts