Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used quite some time reading posts about leaks around and from the stator cover, but have not really found an answer to this... Can I remove the cover (The three philips screws) without draining the oil first? View attachment 52462
I want to check the cover o-ring for any cracks or damage. I have to start somewhere.

I have a small leak that i am unable to find the source of. It doesnt leak when the bike is just sitting there, but makes a couple of relatively small puddles under the bike each time I have used it. The drips are, one under the engine about center, the other drips are under the lock nut -orwhatitiscalled- for the center stand. (I always use the center stand in the garage) I am pretty sure it just is blown there by the wind. . The oil could come from where the clutch lever goes in to the crankcase, but it is wet with oil in front of that. It also could come from the oil drain plug o-ring, but again, it doesnt seem likely as the oil is much above and forward of that too. And it could come from the grommet that the stator wires comes through....
The previous owner totally mangled the drain plug nut, so I have not been able to remove and check that o-ring yet. Any ideas about how to solve that?

·
Registered
764 Posts
You can take the three-screw cover off without draining the oil. The o-rings will likely be trashed when you do, though, so not a bad idea to have replacements on hand. There is a small o-ring for each screw, and a large o-ring for the whole cover.

As for finding the oil leak, you can try degreasing the whole engine with a good cleaner, hose it off really well, let it dry, and sprinkle baby powder/talcum powder around it to see where the oil is seeping from.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You can take the three-screw cover off without draining the oil. The o-rings will likely be trashed when you do, though, so not a bad idea to have replacements on hand. There is a small o-ring for each screw, and a large o-ring for the whole cover.

As for finding the oil leak, you can try degreasing the whole engine with a good cleaner, hose it off really well, let it dry, and sprinkle baby powder/talcum powder around it to see where the oil is seeping from.
Baby powder! :) That is a VERY good idea actually! I will use that, thank You :)
And(For future reference for someone) the parts are;

92055-109 RING-O,5.28X1.78 3
92055-1319 RING-O,GENERATOR COVER 1

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
For the oil cap, get a replacement from eBay, then try visegrips or a pipe wrench?

The trick with aluminum (and brake bleeders) is not to over tighten.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
For the oil cap, get a replacement from eBay, then try visegrips or a pipe wrench?

The trick with aluminum (and brake bleeders) is not to over tighten.
Yes, ebay it is, oil cap and o-ring; (For future reference for someone)

92055-1358 RING-O, 35.2X2.4

11012-1483CAP,OIL FILTER

and wish someone told the previous owner about overtightening... Every single screw and bolt is screwed in at max force..:(:cautious: I bet he never heard about torque wrenches.. Oh, well, cant really complain since I got the bike really cheap :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update. Thanks for the baby powder tip! Found the leaks. One very small from the bottom of the stator cover, but the majority of the oil comes from the grommet where the #&@`Æ ... stator cables comes out of the engine. what a bad design... The oil seeps around the edge of the stator cover and makes it appear as the stator cover is leaking from the bottom. That drip off right under the engine onto the oil drain plug so it looks like -that- leaks.. In addition the oil follows the cables and ends up dripping on the the frame and on the centre stand that makes the center stand wet. And that explains the puddle of oil behind the the center stand.
So it turns out it is the common problem with that stupid grommet as many before me had oil leaking from. I was so sure it didnt come from there as the previous owner had put some sealant around there. I guess he did not clean the area good enough before applying the sealant. I have to redo that and I think the problem will be solved.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Awesome! I'm glad you found the source and that the baby powder worked to find it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Oil came out here.

I now have filled the opening /crack you can see in the picture with sealant. I Will find out tomorrow evening if it was good enough. P. O. had only used sealant on the outside and on part of the top of the rubber grommet. Hope this kills the leak. 👍

1 - 10 of 10 Posts