Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone (wow i keep on making threads) Your help has been invaluable up untill now with electronics and repairs.

And since I need to replace my stator and dont have a mod I need to undertake what is in my mind my biggest challenge yet, removing the engine from the frame!
And could use some help from you guys. This is the current state of my progress and will continue tomorrow morning.

https://ibb.co/k9Phqt8
https://ibb.co/yN5mgZ3
https://ibb.co/TL4xWwx
https://ibb.co/Thgfh3Q

I was wondering what i still have to undertake in order to be able to remove the engine from the frame. Especially how and if I need to remove the shaft drive. And if I can place something underneath the engine and then let it sit on it after removing the bolts that connect the engine to the frame without breaking something I forgot.

(I know people use service manuals to do these kinds of jobs and i have a haynes manual but it doesnt state this job and how to do it)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
Have you considered just tilting the engine? There's a lot less to remove/disconnect that way. I was glad I did, since I had to do it twice in two days due to a mistake I made the first time.

Floor jack under the engine is a must, and tie the centerstand forward so it can't fold back.

There's a download for another service/parts manual in my signature.

Edit: Never mind the tilt, I see it still has the airbox, so unless you want to remove that, I don't think it will tilt. Removing the airbox in one piece requires disconnecting the rear section of the wiring harness and pulling the harness forward out of the frame

Throttle cables are one item yet to be removed.

I don't have any experience with pulling the engine, but when I tilted mine, I left the bevel gear case, exhaust manifolds, and throttle cables all on the engine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have, this was the plan I had, but dont know how, do i lift the front end of the engine? or do i move the engine to the right side out of the frame to get to the stator box?

Also, do i need to remove the crankshaft from the engine? I imagine this is connected to the engine right?
And how do I do this?

+ can i leave the throttle cable on? Since i dont know if it needs a sync once i put em back on.

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
See my edit below on tilting.

Pulling the engine completely out, carb cables have to come off. Driveshaft can stay in, but I'm pretty sure you have to take the bevel gearcase off.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh im planning on tilting the engine like you did. sorry that wasnt so clear in the previous message. Can i leave the gearcase and rear shaft thing when tilting?

·
Registered
8,320 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
That's what the whole "engine tilt" process is. Spockster did a good writeup with pictures. You need to get the engine far enough away from that left frame rail that you can slip the stator case past the shift shaft. Personally I found it to be about the same work to just remove the engine, which is what I did.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So i called a couple garages. And they told me i need an aircompressed machine to remove the centre 17mm bolt. Are there any other options to do this other then using one of those?

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
The problem that im having is that i cant seem to remove the middle one i already broke a tool doing it anti clockwise
Hold on! Isn't that the rotor bolt? Shouldn't be taking that out, the stator case is still in place. Is that what I'm seeing? The rotor bolt has about a 17mm head.

If your not replacing balancer bushings, no need for the rotor bolt to come out.

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
So i called a couple garages. And they told me i need an aircompressed machine to remove the centre 17mm bolt. Are there any other options to do this other then using one of those?
Once the stator case is off, the gears can be jammed to hold the crank, to remove the bolt. But if you're only doing the stator, that bolt doesn't need to come out.

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
Once the stator case is removed, a little heat on the three small screws can help. Those screws have Loctite on them.

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
So i got rhis far, engine is as good as loose from the frame, but cant seem to remove the case of the stator, what am i missing?
Make sure all the side case bolts are out, some on the bottom are hard to spot.

The shifter shaft needs to be above the frame so the cover can slide out.

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
This is blocking me from getting to the stator. I removed the 7 screws holding the second plating, im obviously missing something
Check my posts below, that bolt can stay where it is.

Either some sidecase bolts are still in, or the case is stuck on the gasket, wood/rubber mallet can knock it loose.

The shifter shaft has to be above the frame, or enough space opened up between the shaft/frame for the cover to clear the shaft when pulling it off.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts