Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to ask if it was possible to remove the positive neutral finder setup from a 1991 V750? would it be as simple as removing the 3 ball bearings for it? how involved would it be to do so, if it is possible? just frustrating taking off from a light and hitting neutral instead of 2nd. no matter how i do it (speed, pull clutch & release throttle, etc), it seems to catch me half the time. my logical mind says that if i do certain actions and get a particular response, it should respond the same way each time the actions are done. just when i think i have it down, it acts up a little. i got 14k on the bike now, running synthetic oil, try not to be abusive, but is just one of those things that bite at me (maybe its the OCD. haha). i could do without the finder if it is possible.

any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions on the subject, even if its just to tell me i need more practice? preciate it in advance.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan madness bigtank. Congrats on riding the Vulcan with the best looking colors to come from Ma Kawi`s factory. Of course I could be biased!! LOL

I looked back at your previous posts, and this seems to have been going on since you got the bike, and have ridden a few thousand miles in that time. My bike is the same year and has similar mileage logged on the odometer. My neutral finder works perfectly, as I recall. The operator may have short shifted occasionally though! I wonder if the previous owner may have neglected oil changes, and the dirty oil gummed up the neutral finder ball bearings and the channels they ride in??

I believe you mentioned in a previous post that the oil has been changed. So before you decide to pull the engine to disable the positive neutral finder (PNF), try pouring a 1/4 can (4 oz.) of seafoam into the oil just prior to the next oil change, and drive the bike hard enough to get it warmed up good. Go somewhere you can do repeated start and stops safely. Then do the 1st-2nd upshifts under power, then stopping, shift down, and go again. Perhaps the seafoam will clean the tranny PNF balls and channels out when done for several minutes. Check the PNF function each time you repeat the stop/start cycle while stopped too.

This is the cheapest, easiest and simplest thing I can think of to try for your bike problem. Let us know if it has any effect after filling with fresh oil.

The only other cure that comes to mind is more operator time in the saddle, and practice shifting with authority.
When your significant other wants to know why you are gone on the bike all the time, just tell her it is the OlHoss doctor`s orders for getting a healthy bike.:pepper:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, im hoping it is something as simple as cleaning or operator error (haha). this is my first real bike so i could just be one of those things. ill definitely try that sea foam and see what goes from there. i do appreciate the info. thanks

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
There's nothing wrong with my bike, but I can't say the same for its operator! I still find myself hitting neutral sometimes when upshifting from first. Seems to happen after I've left the city behind and ridden into rural country. Guess I'm more "relaxed". Probably just not putting the same effort into shifting as when I first begin a ride.

·
fuzz
138 Posts
it is a kawi flaw , every kaw i owned shifted hard or miss shifted

just wanted to ask if it was possible to remove the positive neutral finder setup from a 1991 V750? would it be as simple as removing the 3 ball bearings for it? how involved would it be to do so, if it is possible? just frustrating taking off from a light and hitting neutral instead of 2nd. no matter how i do it (speed, pull clutch & release throttle, etc), it seems to catch me half the time. my logical mind says that if i do certain actions and get a particular response, it should respond the same way each time the actions are done. just when i think i have it down, it acts up a little. i got 14k on the bike now, running synthetic oil, try not to be abusive, but is just one of those things that bite at me (maybe its the OCD. haha). i could do without the finder if it is possible.

any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions on the subject, even if its just to tell me i need more practice? preciate it in advance.

·
Registered
292 Posts
hmmm, I'm on my second so far and my only shifting problems have been with the nut connecting the handlebars to the saddle...

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
There's nothing wrong with my bike, but I can't say the same for its operator! I still find myself hitting neutral sometimes when upshifting from first. Seems to happen after I've left the city behind and ridden into rural country. Guess I'm more "relaxed". Probably just not putting the same effort into shifting as when I first begin a ride.
hmmm, I'm on my second so far and my only shifting problems have been with the nut connecting the handlebars to the saddle...
Hmm I have had several Kawasakis my self (2 dirt and the vn750) I have never missed a gear by the bikes' fault. I have hit neutral several times, but that was due to me not paying attention to my shifting.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
While I have rarely ever missed a shift on the VN750, I believe the PNF was a huge mistake by Kawasaki, on every bike they ever put it on. What were they thinking? Anyone but a total beginner should be able to find neutral, and they will quickly learn. It was a "solution" for a problem that did not exist.

What it does do, if your bike is in first or neutral, and has a dead battery, it is next to impossible to get it into second gear, making bump starting very difficult. And it is just more mechanical complexity in an engine that IMO already has way to much. Jerry.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Unlike my 10mm socket (I have several of them now) nutral is probably the easiest gear to find on this bike.. dont sweat it!.. you will get past it eventualy... 1st to 2nd is a hard shift for mine too...almost a clank... almost!...its a VN750 thang...but then I have been on my buds and it shifted like butter!.. I hate him!

·
Registered
15 Posts
On my 750 it shifts easily from first to second gear when the bike is in motion. It seems to only shift into neutral easily when the bike is stopped. This is just the way I would expect it to work.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'm 41 and been riding most of my life and still manage to miss shifts. As others have said with more experience and harder shifts you will get better at it. A good cleaning with seafoam as Hoss said might clean some things up but it is just the nature of the beast with our 750s and learning their flaws but still enjoying them.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I was also finding neutral occasionally when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I had reason to pull the shift lever off and when I put it back on it was down a notch. I noticed this because I had to point my foot at a more downward angle to get it under the shifter - but I adjusted quickly. But I also noticed that the shifting is more positive now because I don't have to lift my foot as high to make the shift. You might want to try that.

Mark

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
One notch is a big difference in shifter pedal position. I know because I tried it too. I forget how many splines are on the shaft, but I will guess about 20. That would make a one notch adjustment = 18*. I might get the toe of a pair of sneakers under the shift pedal of a lowered lever, but would never make it with riding boots.

EDIT: Correction on number of splines on shift lever shaft. As close as I can tell, there are 32 splines on the shaft which equals 11.25* per spline notch.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I was breaking down an engine and it looks like to me that the engine case has to be split in order to get to the nuetral finder ball bearings.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I was breaking down an engine and it looks like to me that the engine case has to be split in order to get to the nuetral finder ball bearings.
I`m sure you are correct niterider. The ball bearings that operate the PNF are captured under the 4th gear in little recesses on the counter shaft in the transmission, IIRC.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's where we are now. There were only 2 balls in there when we got the gear off. Can the tranny work properly if we castrate it or De-ball it?

Mike

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
:smiley_th

I miss 2nd sometimes when I'm relaxed... then I'm aggravated for a while and it doesn't happen again... until the next time.

I agree that the PNF mechanism should not have been forced upon us. Every other bike I've had it only took a short time to learn it's personality with regard to finding neutral and shifting characteristics.

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
I agree that the PNF mechanism should not have been forced upon us..
It wasn't forced upon you. No one held a gun to your head and made you buy the bike did they?

Granted it was a feature I had no use for, but do know a few new riders that found it helpful.

Just as I told Jerry once, they don't build motorcycles just for you...(they build them for everyone)

If you don't like a design feature or aspect of a bike, don't buy it...if you do buy it, don't bitch about it.;)

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
It is still something I consider to be a negative feature about the bike, I just deal with it. Since none of the other 3 Japanese manufacturers are using them, There must not be a big demand. My guess is most Kawasaki owners that have the things feel the same way I do about them. Just another gadget that prevents you from doing something that you should be able to do on all bikes, shift through all the gears while not moving. I would remove it, but it is not worth tearing the engine completely apart for. If you had the engine apart, I see no reason not to remove it. I noticed when Roach rebuilt his he put the balls back in.

Once I replaced my clutch, my bike shifts just fine again. But it would still be nice IMO not to have that PNF.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So, the consensus is, live with it, unless you have the opportunity to remove them, then leave them on the bench when you put everything back together?

And the world will be a better place.:smiley_th

1 - 20 of 47 Posts