Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I f'd up. As you may recall i just did the stator mod for my vulcan and everything mechanically works just fine now.

Unfortunately either I didn't grind the cover down enough or I just didn't put enough permatex on it but after I took it out for a real test drive and it got to heat it started pissing oil.

I didn't notice until i returned home but it came out right at the bottom of the stator cover.

Now I have to pull the thing off, grind it down more just to make sure and then reapply the permatex.

My problem is that I have the screws off but I cannot get the cover off because the permatex cured. Anyone have any suggestions or is it just a matter of me prying the thing off all might makes right style?

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Sorry but I can't help you with this one. I've used the black and it is really serious stuff to remove. Even after you manage to get the cover off just scraping it off the cover will be a b**ch.

Sharpen a 1" wide putty knife and carefully tap (small hammer or palm) it in. next use a slim screwdriver or two and work it slowly out. A razor knife carefully used may help to work around as you go. Slow and easy is the trick but while you could warp things you've got to get that cover off. Remember that you're working with aluminum which the putty knife and razor knife can cut, not just bend so work slow and watch the blade angle.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
And also remember that a sharp edge always does it's job without a conscience.edged tools are cold and callous and will cut whatever it is pointed at so watch your fingers as well.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
So I f'd up. As you may recall i just did the stator mod for my vulcan and everything mechanically works just fine now.

Unfortunately either I didn't grind the cover down enough or I just didn't put enough permatex on it but after I took it out for a real test drive and it got to heat it started pissing oil.

I didn't notice until i returned home but it came out right at the bottom of the stator cover.

Now I have to pull the thing off, grind it down more just to make sure and then reapply the permatex.

My problem is that I have the screws off but I cannot get the cover off because the permatex cured. Anyone have any suggestions or is it just a matter of me prying the thing off all might makes right style?
Take a rubber mallet and slightly tap the cover at a 45 degree angle, two to three taps should be enough to take it off, if not, try slipping a putty knife between the two pieces to separate them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So that was all sound and fury signifying nothing.

Once I gave some "motivated" taps with a file and mallet the cover basically popped off with ease. Then all i had to do was pull the permatex off by hand.

I think my problem was that with the cold in my non heated garage I was working on I never gave the stuff enough time to cure.

I was mpatient and turned on my motorcycle to see if it actually worked only a few hours after application and then took my first right the next day, but that was only some 18 hours later.

The tube suggests a full 24 hours to cure, moreso in the cold or in dry weather.

It's been cold and dry.

The ease at which i removed the permatex leads me to believe it never really cured and contributed heavily into why i was pissing oil after my 2nd test drive.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
So that was all sound and fury signifying nothing.

Once I gave some "motivated" taps with a file and mallet the cover basically popped off with ease. Then all i had to do was pull the permatex off by hand.

I think my problem was that with the cold in my non heated garage I was working on I never gave the stuff enough time to cure.

I was mpatient and turned on my motorcycle to see if it actually worked only a few hours after application and then took my first right the next day, but that was only some 18 hours later.

The tube suggests a full 24 hours to cure, moreso in the cold or in dry weather.

It's been cold and dry.

The ease at which i removed the permatex leads me to believe it never really cured and contributed heavily into why i was pissing oil after my 2nd test drive.
I don't think you had problems with being impatient. I have had 1/4" beads fully cure in about 8 hours in 40 degree weather. I think your problem was contamination, oil and antifreeze will cause Permetex to never set up right. as a general rule, I clean off all my parts I am going to seal with permetex using acetone or brake cleaner to get any residue off the parts, apply my prematex and snug down the bolts to just a little over hand tight (or until the silicone starts to ooze out). Wait about an hour (or until the ooze has a skin) then torque down the bolts to their specified values. immediately after I torque the bolts I start the engine and run it up to operating temps, shut the engine down, then wait another 4-8 hours for the silicone to fully cure. By running the engine up to temperature, it helps the skin harden faster as well as promotes drying from the inside out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are probably right slim, I had all ready reattached the cover before reading your post. Fortunately though, I had did what you suggested and took extra care to clean off the parts.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I suggest Permatex The Right Stuff for the stator cover. Ready to ride in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you got it this time though bud... if not i have a few more tricks up my sleeve yet
I'm feelin pretty good about it too. Might just be my imagination but the cover seemed to sit even more flush the second time round. Plus I was more careful with the permatex application this time. I'll know tomorrow for sure.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts