Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a helluva deal on a (no-painted) VN 750 rear rim w/ a nearly new white letter tire ($29.95 + S/H). I am putting it on my VN700 after I'm finished painting it. My question is this:
Has anyone ever tried to remove the paint from the wheels of a VN700 successfully? If so, what did you use?

My front wheel is the stock VN700 painted wheel. I want to remove the paint and clear coat it, so it matches the rearwheel. The reason I'm doing this is I really prefer the look of the non-painted wheels.

I was thinking of using paint remover and clean it up then clear coat, rather than spend more money on a different rim.
Unless someone has a non-painted rim they would like to trade for a painted one--this is my plan.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
On the tire - make sure the tire is new age wise, not just tread wise.

Tires have a date stamp - if you go to the manufacturers website you should be able to find out how to read the date code. Rubber gets hard after a while. I learned this lesson the hard way.

As for stripping the wheels - haven't done it myself but reccomend "airplane paint remover" it's nasty crap (has warnings about not meeting certain regulations) but it works. A good auto paint supply house should have it.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I'd probably have a conversation with an auto paint shop and see what they recommend. Especially with aluminum wheels. It would be pretty easy to damage the surface of the wheels with the wrong chem.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Good idea, I never thought about the aircraft stripper. I found some at the local Farm& Fleet. It's safe for all aluminum as well as other alloys. It's kind of pricey--but should work great.
As for the tire it's suppose to be about a year to a year and a half old. I'll check the date stamping on it when it arrives. Thanks!

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
And obviously remove the tire before stripping...

Just saying that because of some of the stupid crap I've tried...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tire is junk anyway- it's getting a new one. Has really good tread but is showing really un-even wear. The center tread is higher than the rest of the tread and it seems to feather from the sidewall towards the center of the tire. My other Vulcan had the same thing happen, but not as bad as this one.
I'll put it on the tire changer in the garage and remove it before the stripping.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rear tire and rim arrived today. Both tire and rim appear to be in excellent shape. Rubber is soft and no dry rot or cracks.
Bike is starting to come along great. Putting it back together peice by peice as I get to it. I'll post pics of it when it's ready to ride--but it ain't going to look like it use to in the pic above left.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts