Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the metal seals off the mixture screws and thought I would share the tecnique. I first used an awl to impress a small dimple on the little covers. Since you can't reach them at right angles the drills tend to skate off and could damage the carb body. After dimpling them I used a 1/16 drill bit in a pin vise and after about 5 minutes of hand turning I had a small hole. I then moved to a 1/8 bit and enlarged the hole. I put the tip of the awl in the hole and rocked it back and forth slowly until the cap popped of exposing the mixture screws. Now if I can pull the breather hoses off I'll finish marbling, adjust the mixture and if it warms up a bit, mount the V&H Cruzers. I hate Winter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, you worked WAY too hard!

I simply used a drill with a 1/16" bit and carefully drilled through the plug. Then I screwed a small wood screw into the plug and pulled it out with some pliers.

Whole ordeal lasted about 5 minutes and I had both carbs done and tools cleaned up...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they were on the bike. Because of the angle they are at and the soft metal of the carb bodies I was hesitant to use a drill or dremmel. I also had no idea of the distance between the caps and the mixture screws and was afraid I would drill right into them. As a side note, I changed the pipes this weekend to V&H Cruzers and had to adjust the mixture a little more. I was nervous after turning the mixture screws out about 3+ turns so I pushed the caps back on to keep the screw from comming out if I went too far. They pressed right in and with the hole in them they come right out with a bent paperclip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts