Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to everyone.
I have a 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 with 12500 miles.
just bought it 3 months ago. Of course I read about the final drive splines getting shot if unlubed. Of course I didn’t do it even tho it says it takes 15 minutes to remove the rear wheel and thus the four bolts holding the final drive on. Then barely 450 miles out on my 04 since owning and a dreaded clack in the drive when releasing throttle… so I go home and proceed to prepare to remove drive and wheel and grease repair splines.
did my homework bought a coupler and used final drive . Mine were mated together real bad. wasn’t 15 minutes to get off. After getting coupler red hot she came off with two swings.
my reason for posting is that apparently the driveshaft came off where the engine side is under the boot… I can’t get the shaft to slide onto the splines on the engine side. It sounds like grinding when I spin the shaft….
any ideas my Kawasaki ridin friends?

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Might need another pair of hands, but you should be able to reach inside the boot to align the front yoke while pushing and turning from the rear (final drive removed).

Putting the trans in first gear will keep the splines from turning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the Vulcan running. And it's running better than ever.
Replaced coupler on the driveshaft to final drive and put the final drive from Californiai I found for Only 100$ with shipping. From a direct 04 Vulcan 750 also.
Heres some pics of the blown coupler. Which was 150 $ or so oem Kawasaki part from babbits Kawasaki online.
Needed heat to get the coupler apart....only way.
And I ordered special deep extra long internal spring 35$ clip pliers. Made removal of the spring clip to get the coupler off super easy. Also to reinstall. Real easy.
The drive shaft went back on just like spockster said. I did it alone with the tranny in 1st gear turning little and pushed/pounded with my hand pushing straight toward the u joint.... And back on.
The coupler was what was actually damaged. The splines on the final drive side. I was able to salvage my final drive and have it off to the side as an extra. My housing was damaged when I bashed it with the hammer during removal.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle
Hand Tire Wheel Automotive tire Plant
Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Gas Rim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts