Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally tearing down and restoring/rebuilding my 750. One of the issues that I just started thinking about was "shaving the ears." If I do that mod, I will be able to remove all of the intake parts. However, the airbox is connected to the "evaporative emissions control" on California models. It's not that I am wanting to destroy the environment, but is there any reason why I could not plug the leads from the gas tank and remove the system altogether? Has anyone done this? Are there any other ramifications of removing this system?

Thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
No, you can't just plug the leads on the gas tank. Those are vents for the tank...in and out so the tanks internal pressure can equalize with changes in temperature and whatever else. No venting = bad. The internal tank pressure will eventually stop fuel flow to the engine with obvious consequences.
If you don't plug them, raw gas and (more dangerous) gas fumes will come out... So at the least you'll have to do is run vent lines down past the battery and hot exhaust to the bottom of the bike. Be prepared to have raw gas dripping under the bike when you shut it off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm...well, I defintely don't want dripping gas. My question now becomes: How do people who have removed all of their airbox components have a functioning evap system? From the pictures, it doesn't appear that the "ear shave" kits have any leads from them. Am I wrong? Are people just leaving an empty hose (unfiltered) laying around to draw air in?

Is there a way around this system? It seems like I could open up some space and improve air flow if I could remove the airbox, evap canister, liquid-vapor separator and about 10 feet of hose from my bike!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I havn't had a close look at any bike with an earshave, so I couldn't comment on what people are actually doing. I thought about doing it to mine, but once I got a look at what was involved, I just left it stock.

You can pull the airbox without pulling the evap system. Just need small filters for the crankcase and evap canister.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts