Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a nice lil 101 mi. twistie ride yesterday, and noticed that a few leaves & walnuts have started to fall here in Southern Tenn., just a bit of a heads up, nothing like goin into a good curve and seeing the road full of leaves or walnuts, almost like seein an ice spot right ahead...lol...
I'm sure more have fallen North of here, just a lil heads up reminder...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Thanks man! Bare in mind also, a patch of what looks like dry leaves can have wet ones under neath. They can stay wet for a while too because they're insulated. Wet leaves are like ice. That got me last year, I was pulling into my garage and rolled over "dry" leaves. My front tire walked to the right a bit, then caught - scared the crap outta me. I uncovered the dry leaves to see wet ones. It hadn't rained in days...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I guess there's a few advantages to living in the desert... no leaves! lol

We do have patches of sand on the roads all year long though :-/

Stay safe guys!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess there's a few advantages to living in the desert... no leaves! lol

We do have patches of sand on the roads all year long though :-/

Stay safe guys!
That can be about as interesting as anything in a good sharp turn...lol...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
That can be about as interesting as anything in a good sharp turn...lol...
interesting, yeah... lol

I do have to take those sand patches really slow when I wanna turn. There's a left turn right before I get to work where the turn lane always has sand on it. I take it slow and I still almost always feel a tire skid a little.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Finally. RIDING SEASON!!!! I am hoping to rack up about 20,000 miles (or more) over the next 4 months.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I would also like to point out Deer Season is coming up in the southeast and most of the midwest as well

If you are a non hunter ,you should know that this generally coincides with the rut(breeding season) for deer.What this means is that deer become less and less nocturnal and the bucks are chasing does and they can be in the road at any time and not concentrated so much during twilight to morning hours.Keep your eyes peeled when out on two wheels.

I have already noticed more road killed deer in the last couple of weeks in my neck of the woods.Remember that one dead lying your path,will wreck you as quick as a live one running out in front of you,so be ready to make evasive maneuvers in either case,just a heads up,be careful out there.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
/\ Good go Denny, after I posted I thought about that, and almost added an edit...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Another Fall Hazard: The other day I was riding through a heavily wooded stretch of road at about 50 mph when a falling acorn hit my helmet with a sharp crack that startled me. It would have hit me on the top part of my forehead if I wasn't wearing a helmet - could have been serious? (I'm sure glad it wasn't a walnut.) I know the chances of being struck are small, but under certain weather conditions acorns seem to rain from the big oaks. (I also believe that the squirrels may be targeting me ;)
Another reason to wear a helmet - ATGATT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts