Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put mine on an aluminum plate on a bolt that holds the left passenger footrest and the rearmost exhaust support. I didn't have dielectric grease nor do I know what the purpose of it is. I just put it on dry. Am I finished?

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Basically ...as long as its secure. You could clean the contacts with electric contact cleaner then use a little dielectric grease to protect it and put the plug together...then wala!

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
You could make sure that the wires are beneath, so rain doesn't get in. Of course, then road crud can get in.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I suggest you rubber mount the plate or the r/r to the plate. Vibration is a killer too.

DT

·
Registered
308 Posts
You could make sure that the wires are beneath, so rain doesn't get in. Of course, then road crud can get in.
I have my plug upward and put 3 coats of liquid electrical tape on it to prevent water and other objects getting in there. I did also put dielectric grease with the plug as an extra precaution.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Dielectric grease is a grease that does not interfere with the electrical current and keeps the plug-ins from coroading. I also spray WD-40 or silicone on all electrical connections after plugging them in to shed water from them.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
WD is good stuff. I used it on my vintage dirt bike points to dissipate water.

DT

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Dielectric grease is a grease that does not interfere with the electrical current and keeps the plug-ins from coroading. I also spray WD-40 or silicone on all electrical connections after plugging them in to shed water from them.
Actually, dielectric grease DOES interfere with electric current. It's an insulator. It isn't supposed to be used directly on the metal contacts, in fact, it can cause problems if it's not squeezed out when the connectors are mated. Dielectric grease is supposed to be used on the outside of plastic and rubber (non-silicon, DG eats silicon rubber) connections to keep out moisture. Like putting it on the inside of a spark plug boot..... it doesn't go on the metal part, just between the boot and ceramic.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I stand corrected. Thanks dariv :notworthy

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have my plug upward and put 3 coats of liquid electrical tape on it to prevent water and other objects getting in there. I did also put dielectric grease with the plug as an extra precaution.
I like the idea of the liquid electrical tape. I think I will get some of that and spray some WD40 on the plug as well, after it's plugged in. Thanks for the tips everbody!

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I stand corrected. Thanks dariv :notworthy
Here is some info on the grease.

While the indicated use of dielectric grease calls for it to be used only on the non-metal parts of a connection, it has been shown to be effective at preventing corrosion when applied directly to the metal connectors as well. Care should be taken when using it in this way, because this application can, in some instances, cause the connection to stop working. A common reason for such a failure is that the grease has not been pushed entirely out of the way between the two points of contact

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
After cleaning, I applied it very liberally to all the connections I could find. So far, no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
liquid electric tap

Where do you get the liquid electric tape? sounds cool

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've seen the liquid electric tape at auto parts stores and hardware stores. I have used it and it is some good stuff if you can't get a role of electrical tape in some areas. Careful though it can be a bit messy where it is applied with a brush.

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts