Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Let's Ride!!
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got it moved out of the goat's belly. No problem at all: just unfastened the battery holder and then was able to move it enough to get to the bolts for the R/R. And thankfully they came out easy. Got a 3x7 nailer from the hardware store, made some slight adjustments to it, and it worked out nicely:

Now, my question is, since it's all so exposed now, should I tape or heat-shrink the exposed part of the connector to keep water out? Or is it nothing to worry about?

·
Banned
431 Posts
I would imagine that water here would be a big problem, especially considering that gravity is working against you with the R/R in this orientation. It seems like water could pool in the connection. I can't think of a good solution to isolate the connection at this point. Maybe excessive packing of the entire connection with dielectric grease?

·
Let's Ride!!
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I really wanted to orient it with the plug below the R/R, but the wires were too short to allow that, and I didn't feel like splicing them to extend it. I think I'll just heat-shrink the top of the connector to be sure nothing shorts out.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I have been running mine in the same mannor as yours since spring of 08 with out any problems due to water. If you are worried about water, get some heat-shrink and cover the white connector enough to make the water drip down over the outside of the R/R, and then use dialectic grease to fill the inside of the connectors.

·
Let's Ride!!
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that's what I'll do, just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Just looking at it, I would say the wires are plenty long to fit with it rotated 180 degrees. Where it is now, the wires come from almost below the r/r, over the top, and back down to the fitting. On my bracket, there is enough room between the lower left side of the bracket and the frame for the wires to fit. JMTCW.

·
Let's Ride!!
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure if it will with this particular plate. I may have to go get something different to make that work. With it turned 180, the plug itself will push the R/R higher on the plate, and I'm not sure if there will be room for new holes. I'll check tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
That plate would need to be rotated 90 degrees and have different holes drilled in it.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
That plate would need to be rotated 90 degrees and have different holes drilled in it.
I packed the male connector with dielectric grease, plugged it in, then wrapped the entire plug and wires with electric tape.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts