Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I just recently got a 2001 Vulcan 750, the headlight lamp on the cluster is on which I know means the bulb is burnt out and the relay is running the bright on dim. now I haven't been able to get a new headlight bulb yet but my front running and tail lights are not on, turn signals work when switch is operated but no running lights, and the brake light only works when brakes are applied but no running light there or on the license plate, so does the relay draw power from these things to operate the bright headlight or is there something else going on, any info is appreciated

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
my front running and tail lights are not on
This tells me one of three things.. One you ahve a blown fuse, Two the stator isn't energizing the headlight relay inside the fuse box, or three you have a bad relay inside the fuse box.

What is your charging voltage at the battery? If you are getting 13.5 Volts and higher than I would look into the "Blue Wire Bypass".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the stator is new cause the dealer had to come get the bike off the side of the road and replace it for me, which also scored me a free front tire, so i would lean towards the relay or the fuse but would the brake light work if the fuse is blown

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
yes..er noo... it will tell you that the headlight relay inside the Fuse Box is not working, and that you need a new fuse box. And yes the tail light will come on, but I don't recommend leaving the bypass in place... its more of a means to test the rest of the headlight circuit for faults.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
hmm, is it normal for the running lights and tail light to be off until the stator outputs and turns on headlight circuits? Or are they supposed to turn on with the ign switch???

if they are switched by the ign switch, I would clean contacts there first.

just checked my bike.. running lights on with ign switch (engine off)

check fuses and check/clean ign switch

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
hmm, is it normal for the running lights and tail light to be off until the stator outputs and turns on headlight circuits? Or are they supposed to turn on with the ign switch???

if they are switched by the ign switch, I would clean contacts there first.

just checked my bike.. running lights on with ign switch (engine off)

check fuses and check/clean ign switch

To clarify as I know it..

With turn on of key/Ignition, all lights operate except the Headlight until engine starts (Stator puts out ...) which assists in starter/battery cranking power.

pls correct me if misstated....

:smiley_th

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts

With turn on of key/Ignition, all lights operate except the Headlight until engine starts (Stator puts out ...) which assists in battery cranking power.

Your stator is a little slut.it puts out.lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts

With turn on of key/Ignition, all lights operate except the Headlight until engine starts (Stator puts out ...) which assists in battery cranking power.

correct..

and if I read my manual correctly, there isnt a relay in the running lights (just switched by the ign switch). they are fused however

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
if you need a good junction box (fuse box) i have one for sale and if you send me your old one i can replace the relay

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
correct..

and if I read my manual correctly, there isnt a relay in the running lights (just switched by the ign switch). they are fused however
Nope.. you read your manual wrong... the headlight and running/tail lights all get their power from the relay inside the JB... doubt me.. cut yours open.... I used to rebuild them and am very familiar with their inner circuitry.

bad charging systems along with lead/acid batteries are known to fry the headlight relay. hence I suggested trying the blue wire bypass to make sure its the junctionbox, and not any other part of the lighting circuit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK so I am going to change the fuse and relay this morning when advance opens up thank you to all for your input

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
OK so I am going to change the fuse and relay this morning when advance opens up thank you to all for your input
Can't change the relay... its soldered inside the fuse box. thats why we keep saying to do the blue wire bypass, and if that works get a new JB... Newrider has one he is offering.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts