Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. After having my carbs out for a cleaning I am trying to reinstall these guys. For the life of me I can't seem to get them squeezed back in. So, I'm thinking of removing the airbox to get better access. What needs to come off to get this airbox out, temporarily? is there a procedure listed here somewhere? Please don't refer me to the Clymer manual as it is less than useless.

Thanks in advance

Don

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Then pull the ears off and lift the surge box up. You can zip tie it up or do what I do and wedge a piece of flat stock under it to hold it up.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
The trick to getting the airbox out in one piece is to unhook the wiring harness and pull the harness out of the frame. Then the airbox can slide back and out, you still have to flex it some. It won't go out the front.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, finally got these bitches back in, what a chore. I've worked on lots of bikes and carbs and I've never had so much trouble getting carbs in and out, what a design. Obviously meant to be done by 12 years old girls with tiny fingers in Japanese sweat shops. Makes Suzukis seem like a walk in the park, which is going some. Anyways, it's done and I won't do this again until I rebuild that parts bike. Even then, I'll install the carbs before the engine goes in the frame.

Don

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Well, finally got these bitches back in, what a chore. I've worked on lots of bikes and carbs and I've never had so much trouble getting carbs in and out, what a design. Obviously meant to be done by 12 years old girls with tiny fingers in Japanese sweat shops. Makes Suzukis seem like a walk in the park, which is going some. Anyways, it's done and I won't do this again until I rebuild that parts bike. Even then, I'll install the carbs before the engine goes in the frame.

Don
Ever do a gl 1000's carbs?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
When I did my 1st card pull I didn't plan on doing an earshave but after wrestling the carbs and reading that getting them back in past that darn surge tank was even worse I did an earshave just to avoid fighting with the darn things. Much easier with the surge tank gone.

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
Vn750 is way easier than a v4 magna. Those a bitch and a half. I do the front boot first, then the back, with a table knife to keep it from catching inside the intake. Has mine off many times in less than a year. 10 x easier after the ear shave. It's worth shaving them even if you only pull the carbs once!

·
Registered
856 Posts
The way I've found to be easy to get the carbs back in:

1. Get the front boot and clamps on the head, be sure to alight the marks properly.
2. Do NOT attach the rear boot at all yet despite the manuals instructions.
3. Hook up your throttle cables now while the carbs are off the bike
4. Insert the carbs in between the cylinders, move the carb forward and above the front cylinder boot to give space to slide the rear boot onto the rear cylinder. Align the rear boot marks properly.
5. While continuing to hold the carb assembly forward against the font head, slide the rear boot clamps into place.
6. At his point it's pretty easy to wiggle and twist the carb assemble into the two boots.

It is also helpful to lightly grease the lips of the boots with something like WD-40 to let the carbs slip right in.

Did it this way last time and it took me less than 5 minutes to get them back in.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for this NDr! I am just attempting this and your instructions are very clear. I will say that while wrestling mine out I broke the d#*n idel speed screw. Hopefully it was adjusted correctly to start with and it will run until I get a new one. Anyway, thanks for your post!

P.S. There should be a thumbs up button for some of the exceptional posts like this!

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts

1. Get the front boot and clamps on the head, be sure to alight the marks properly.
4. Insert the carbs in between the cylinders, move the carb forward and above the front cylinder boot to give space to slide the rear boot onto the rear cylinder. Align the rear boot marks properly.
5. While continuing to hold the carb assembly forward against the font head, slide the rear boot clamps into place.
6. At his point it's pretty easy to wiggle and twist the carb assemble into the two boots.

It is also helpful to lightly grease the lips of the boots with something like WD-40 to let the carbs slip right in.

Did it this way last time and it took me less than 5 minutes to get them back in.
I know an even easier way, do an earshave or hire a mechanic.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Thanks for this NDr! I am just attempting this and your instructions are very clear. I will say that while wrestling mine out I broke the d#*n idel speed screw. Hopefully it was adjusted correctly to start with and it will run until I get a new one. Anyway, thanks for your post!

P.S. There should be a thumbs up button for some of the exceptional posts like this!
....to the right of the "#14" of your post (post#14)....click on the icon..."add to reputation...."

hth

:smiley_th

·
Registered
95 Posts

These instructions were awesome but, I would add a couple of thing for those of us who have not ear shaved yet.

1) Go ahead and remove the breather boots asap during the removal of carbs.

2) Get a ratchet strap and run it under the breather tube and around the mirror posts.

3) Raise the breather tube as high as possible as you will need the room.

4) Pay attention to the direction of the clamp screws as they can be tricky and will make you start all over if you get them wrong.

5) In many cases, you do not have to rejet just because you do an ear shave.

These are things I discovered during my adventure! LOL

:beerchug:

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
i always pull the thermostat housing and that gives me an extra inch or two of room and i use a little 90 degree pick to get the boots over the head i got it down to less than 10 mins to reinstall the carbs with the surge tank in place

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I was able to get the carbs back on the engine (not easy, but not impossible) Make sure the rubber ducts that go between the engine and carbs are lined up, and soak the rubber with WD-40. Where I ran into trouble was getting those elbow shaped rubber ducts that go from the carbs to the airbox (surge tank) back into the surge tank. I finally gave up, and did a little surgery on them, trimming off some excess rubber on the top end, leaving the grooves that hold them in the holes in the surge tank. That made them a lot more flexible, and I was able to pop them into place. I did that years ago, and haven't had any problems.

I live in AZ, and the whole state is dust, dust, and more dust. Not long ago I rode across Nevada, and it was the same way. That is one reason I keep my well oiled stock filters. I've even found sand in my turn signal and tail light housings.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Struggling with reinstalling carbs now, just found this thread. Can you tell me what marks you're referring to? Figured out AFTER the boots were off that they need to be lined up a certain way but haven't figured out how.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts