Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got one knuckle on my right hand that has some skin left on it...can someone tell me what the secret is to getting the air intake boots back into the surge box before I bleed out? It's like pushing on a balloon - get one side in, and the other side pops out.

I'm guessing the simple explanation is to do an ear shave and "fuhgetaboutit". I'm almost inclined - anyone have recommendations? For either (reinstalling or shaving the ears)?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Cindy -

One of the reasons mine wasn't going back in. Pictures of shaved bike with new pipes to follow, soon.

However, I would try a liberal amount of WD40 on the tops of the boots and see if you can slip them in. May help to have a second pair of hands.

Jon

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was about to call you, Jon, wondering if that might've been a motivator. Since I'm down to one good hand, I'll see if I can get some help from my partner this evening to put those things back in. Otherwise, if I were to do an ear shave, what would I need?

BTW, did you decide to go ahead and try the carb sync?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I can tell you what worked for me, twice.

Spray the top of the boot with silicone lubricant...angle in the back side of the boot, the use a long flathead screwdriver to bend in the side facing you then press it up into place.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I was about to call you, Jon, wondering if that might've been a motivator. Since I'm down to one good hand, I'll see if I can get some help from my partner this evening to put those things back in. Otherwise, if I were to do an ear shave, what would I need?

BTW, did you decide to go ahead and try the carb sync?
Cindy -

Carb sync to commence this evening, or tomorrow morning.

Need the (2) air pod filters for carbs, breather for crankcase vent, new jets for carbs, some small amount of hardware.

Call if you need.

Jon

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Air Intake Boot Stew

Boiled 'em... well, not really, but boiled some water, immersed the funky end of the boots into the water, ran quick-like-a-bunny to the garage, and they were pliant enough to slide into the air box. :notworthy

Now I can rest 'til tomorrow (when I try to remember which hose goes where...).

·
239 Posts
I heat um up with a hair dryer ,works great.they will get very workable when hot.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
I can tell you what worked for me, twice.

Spray the top of the boot with silicone lubricant...angle in the back side of the boot, the use a long flathead screwdriver to bend in the side facing you then press it up into place.
I did this using clean motor oil.. worked for me

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
ran quick-like-a-bunny to the garage .
Was that a hop, skip and a jump... or a hop, hop, hippity hop.... ;)

Sorry.... too many mental pictures of you bouncing to the garage like a bunny!!! HAHAHAHA
:D

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was an "ow ow ow" and then a dash, jumping over two Great Pyrenees, scaring the cat into the basement, a cartoon-like skid rounding into the garage, and then a (&*$#@_(*$_%$+_ as I jammed the boots on. Very dangerous on many fronts, but it worked!! :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
"It was an "ow ow ow" and then a dash, jumping over two Great Pyrenees, scaring the cat into the basement, a cartoon-like skid rounding into the garage, and then a (&*$#@_(*$_%$+_ as I jammed the boots on."

I think that should be in the "how to" video.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts