Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I was doing a bit of research before this repair.. I may need a stator and or a new Regulator/Rectifier.. So far I'm just going on my brothers findings from the end of the last season but I'm thinking it's the Regulator/Rectifier due to the the fact that he didn't see much of a voltage change...

So my big question here is: Regulator/Rectifiers, are they all about the same? providing it has 3 stator wires and a positive and negative. The reason I ask is because I'm a cheap s$%t and I found some better deals on other brand/makes including a few for 12 volt airplanes with 5/6 wires..

I'm thinking I want to go bigger then the stock 750 r/r and possibly less problematic... I figure as long as it has a pig tail or I can get one for it all I need
to do is solder and heat shrink and I'm good to go.. Any reason I shouldn't go down this road?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Best bet is to look at the wiring diagrams and see what the wires for the original RR are for and see if the one you want to use would do the same and have the same wires/connections.

The obvious ones are the 3 stator wires, but the others are the ones you'd have to figure out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
yes 3 phase = 3 wires and then a positive and negative straight to the battery with a 30 amp fuse inline on the positive side.

I would recommend a MOSFET unit did this upgrade to my daytona what a world of difference the Triumph had a shunt type and I think our VN750 are shunt type aswell what does that mean? eventual FAILURE I happened to be stranded 200 miles from the house on the triumph when my reg decided to take a crap.

I did my own on the Daytona I used a MOSFET reg/rect from an 07 CBR1000 cost me about $50 for reg/rect + meter pack connections.

Heres is a kit with everything you need, you will need meterpack crimps if not you can do it with some needle nose pliers if your careful also solder the connections before you close up the meterpack:smiley_th

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380299088748&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

let me know if you need some help in wiring it up

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! The CBR1000 and 900 r/r was one on my list.. Do you know if all the 1000's use MOSFET's? also what's a Meter pack? are you referring to a volt meter you installed on the bike? or something else?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also what's a Meter pack? are you referring to a volt meter you installed on the bike? or something else?
Never mind, I think you are referring to a metri pack.. But hey, it's late night...lol

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks! The CBR1000 and 900 r/r was one on my list.. Do you know if all the 1000's use MOSFET's? also what's a Meter pack? are you referring to a volt meter you installed on the bike? or something else?

yes metri pack sorry, I know 07-09 CBR600RR and CBR1000 RR for sure Id have to look but the one in the ebay link FH012AA is a MOSFET unit.

nice writeup and they used the same unit in the ebay link :smiley_th

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I started testing yesterday.. I didn't expect to so I didn't have my Kawasaki service manual with me.. So I just did a quick test.. So far I found The stator wires are not grounded but I didn't know what the impedance, voltage and amps should be so I didn't test it.. I know, I should of and just checked the book when I got home but it was a long day and I wasn't thinking at the time.. I also found on the battery.. The voltage off was just around 13v. Running it was 12.3 to 13.54.. My best guess at this point is still the r/r but I want to dive into it a little deeper tomorrow with the service manual..

I'm trying my best to just change out the r/r and be done with it but I also here a tap or slap (possible cam chain :() but I'm going to change the oil and coolant first to see if that helps.. if not I'll try that adjustment I read about here.. (Grady I think it was)

All in all the bike don't look that bad for 16 years old and 35k clicks. The paint looks great but I need to hit the chrome with some steel wool to put some kind of a shine on it..

Wish me luck.. I think I'm going to need it..lol

·
Registered
137 Posts
Decosse is a good man hes a frequent on the Trumpy forums, ah you'll be fine yes it does sound like your Reg/Rect is at fault not the stator with bike running should be around 13.8-14.5 above 3k RPM... and yes the clackity clack is your cam chain slapping the inside case I was gonna do the DIY manual but I wound up just buying 2 from TOC http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/ManualCamChainTensioner.htm

Just got them in the mail and installed them 10 minutes ago no more clack:smiley_th mines an 86 with only 15k on the odo

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Decosse is a good man hes a frequent on the Trumpy forums, ah you'll be fine yes it does sound like your Reg/Rect is at fault not the stator with bike running should be around 13.8-14.5 above 3k RPM... and yes the clackity clack is your cam chain slapping the inside case I was gonna do the DIY manual but I wound up just buying 2 from TOC http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/ManualCamChainTensioner.htm

Just got them in the mail and installed them 10 minutes ago no more clack:smiley_th mines an 86 with only 15k on the odo
10 minutes? that's great! I didn't read the book yet to see how to r and r them but I thought it was going to end up ripping a lot apart to get to them.. Great news, Thanks!

As far as the r/r go's I'm going to just order one and try it.. even if it turns out to be something else the thing is 16 years old so it can't hurt.. but with my luck I'll pull out the old one and find a bad connection some place...lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the one I posted will supposedly charge your battery at idle.. something you cant do with the stock one.
Right now that one is on top of my list.. I found a few better deals but that one looks like the best value.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any thoughts on this one? it's about $50 less and is also solid state..

S1002UH Regulator Rectifier
12 Volt, Shunt-Type, 14.6 Vset
Used On:
Honda GL1000, GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, VF750, VF1100, VT750, VT1100
Kawasaki KZ550, KZ650, KZ750, KZ900, KZ1000, KZ1100, KZ1300, VN750, ZX600
Suzuki GS250, GS400, GS550, GS750, GS850, GS1100, GS1150, GV1400, VS750, VS1400

Notes :
Universal Rectifier/Regulator w/ 5-wires for 3-phase magnet alternators.

Transpo Solid state Current limiting Ceramic hybrid construction

·
Registered
137 Posts
NO! you do not want a shunt type you want a MOSFET type the FH008 and the FH0012 are both great units

I say go with the one in the above link because it has everything you need to do the upgrade. Even if you get a reg for 50 bux you still have you get wires, metri packs, inline fuse and some cool lookin wire wrap..:), soldering iron,solder, (crimpers* optional) youll save maybe 30$ by hunting down everything you need...... thats what I did ......but youll save time with the reg upgrade "kit"

here are a few in that price range of around 50-60$ :smiley_th

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04-05-06-Honda-Cbr-600rr-Voltage-Rectifier-Regulator-/220760209868?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33665579cc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07-CBR-1000-CBR1000-RR-VOLTAGE-REGULATOR-RECTIFIER-/220761494075?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336669123b

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/honda-cbr600rr-cbr-600rr-voltage-regulator-07-08-110982-/330546523747?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf61bae63

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
ok, ok, I get it :) Thanks, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the top one for the CBR 600.

Just bought it. Now I can't wait to get some Cycletherapy!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW! That guy shipped fast!!! I got the r/r in today and I'm hopeful I can get to it before the 6th.. I didn't look into it yet but does anyone know the wiring for a FH008BA off a 05-06 CBR 600? I know the 3 yellows go to the stator in any combo but it also has 2 reds and 2 greens.. Are they just a pos and neg? if so am I right in assuming I tie the g to g and r to r and then the red to battery + and ground the green or do I need a relay to switch ignition to battery then to r/r?

·
Registered
137 Posts
There should only be 1 red and 1 green......... are the green and reds the same size? you may only need to run 1 set do a test hook up and see ,and yes pos is RED and neg is GREEN I also have the FH008 same one I put on the Triumph. wire straight to the battery for both leads, you need put a 30 Amp inline fuse on the positive side

did you get the metri pack connections?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There should only be 1 red and 1 green......... are the green and reds the same size? you may only need to run 1 set do a test hook up and see ,and yes pos is RED and neg is GREEN I also have the FH008 same one I put on the Triumph. wire straight to the battery for both leads, you need put a 30 Amp inline fuse on the positive side

did you get the metri pack connections?
I have a 7 wires all together on two molex connectors. One has the 3 yellow wires for the stator and the other has 2 red and 2 green. I'm assuming it may have been a money saver for Honda.. (using 2 wires instead of 2)

I didn't need the metri pack. I bought this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220760209868&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1072wt_977

Or: Item number 220760209868

1 - 20 of 29 Posts