Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke my bike up today from its long winter nap. Regulator was getting smoking hot. I had the battery on a tender all winter in the cellar. Now Im wondering what is wrong this year.:(

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Is the wiring connector to the r/r smoking/burning?
Check connections for corrosion. Clean and apply dielectric grease.

What is battery voltage with engine off?
at idle - 1100rpm?
3k rpm?
4k rpm?
5k rpm? (should gradually rise to about 14.5 volts)

report back and we will work from there

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will check that out today. Ive had a lot of problems with batteries the last couple years. I check my stator last year because the connections got smoking hot. I had 60 volts. Not sure at idle though. But I did notice the regulator plug got hot and melted a little at one point so I was contemplating checking all the connections and maybe replacing the regulator. I cant get more than 13.5 volts checking between the battery posts. And that regulator check in the manual is confusing.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I checked today. 12.8 volts at the battery not running. 13.1 volts no matter what rpm. im fearful the alternator may be toast again. but I remember the last time it went the bike wouldnt run more than 10 minutes without stalling on a low voltage. So maybe it is the regulator, or connections? The main fuse seems real loose and the headlight changes broightness when I blip the throttle.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
The regulator should get hot, but not hot enough for stuff to melt. Chances are after you clean all the contacts and still are getting only 13.1 volts it might be bad. ...as it is the thing that "regulates" your voltage.

If you have issues before with batteries, that could also have been caused by the R/R.

Might be worth it to try an new one.

KM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts