Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, we all know that the side cover screws are hard to get off because they have abnormally wide screw slots. I lost one, and found a screw in my shop that fit it perfectly, with a standard slot (not phillips). What I'd like to know, is if anyone has replaced the screw with some type of hand-tightened wingnut type screw? Seems like I'm always needing to get a cover off, and it would be so much easier if I didn't have to get my toolkit out to do it. (Besides, I'm always afraid of slipping and scratching the paint on the side cover)

Along the same lines, some type of wingnut thing would work on the seat bolts as well. I keep a socket and driver in my toolkit for just that purpose, but I know there must be an easier way.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
That's a good idea...I'll do some hunting. I think I might be able to find a machine knob suitable for the purpose. Something with a knurled head in an aluminum or stainless. I'll repost if I find one.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
This
Is the place that looks the best so far. The studded in stainless would be a good bet but the stud length is not quite long enough so perhaps a studless and add your own is in order. They mention custom sizing as well.

I checked McMaster-Carr and grainger and they only carried imperial measurement knobs. I'll keep looking.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zeus button? I'm not familiar with such a contraption. What is it?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
You can use your Key to remove the screw, Fits perfect. The side or the top will work.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I tied the key idea, bent the hell out of the top of the key. Ill just bring it back to the dealer and let them remove both side cover screws

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
A Tseus (Zeus) fastener is a cam lock system that allows the fastener to release in just a quarter turn. They have a spring load system to hold them in place until you need to open them. They do have issues though. We ended up replacing all of them on the F14 due to FOD issues. They would sometimes disintigrate leaving small bits of themselves in bad places.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
If I can get my Vulcan close to F14 speeds, I think I'd better get more than just some of those fasteners !!! LOL

SUMMIT RACING has a set of "Dzus" fasteners. Would take some possibly irreversable mods to get them to work, but would certainly be easier to remove.
BUT, they're $68.00 for 10 !!
They also have several other types HERE, but again, in sets of 10.

My one dirtbike has fasteners on the sidecovers that have a kinda "D" ring attached to them that folds in when not needed & out when needed.
Might not look that eyepleasing on a streetbike though.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
If you can make them easily removable, you should be able to glue/mount a triangle bag in there for more storage

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Getting rid of the Tseus (Zeus) fasteners wasn't due to speed, it was due to vibration. The takeoff/landing vibrations and stress caused them to come apart and FOD the jet. Usually only one or two at a time would fail so no fuselage covers or anything came off the jet. We went to a many turn internal threaded contraption that we all hated. The quarter turn Tseus fittings were great for maintainers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts