Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have an '89 vn750, i've noticed online that there are two types listed, the normal version and the "reduced effect" version. The latter appears to be the same except with less horse power. Does anyone know how to tell which version mine might be?
thanks

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Never heard such a thing. Can you point us to the site that refers to this?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
That's a new one on me, never heard of it. Only thing I can think of is whether there was a restricted power version available for certain markets.
We have no such restriction here in England (yet!) but across the English Channel in mainland Europe they have a 100 horsepower limit on all new bikes. Doesn't achieve much as far as I can see, reckon it's some of the riders that need educating rather than simply restricting the bikes power.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Ah, Hold on to your hat. As reported by my shop manual:
66.0 HP @7500
68.0 HP for Canada and South Africa @7500
50.0 HP for Germany @7500
62.4 HP for France @7500

blank for [email protected]
37 HP for Switzerland @5200

Then there are two asterisks (meaning VN750-A9 and up), followed by:
60 HP for Europe @7500
58.5 for France @7500

Make of it what you will...

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Then it says, "To go directly to the correct parts list for your vehicle, you may enter your Vehicle Identification Number on the Vehicle Information screen." Have you tried that?

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
The California models have a restricted emmissions cannister. You will see 2 tubes coming from the back of the fuel tank that go into a cannister.
If you have a California model, that is what the difference is.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
37 hp for the swiss? what did they do shut down the second cyl?

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Interesting reading....goes somewhat against what some here say about earshaves and exhaust/intake changes, lol...."finely engineered and tuned" machines that they are when stock, lol....

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Agreed, I read all 10 pages, They cover a lot of areas we've discussed but with a different take on earshaves, EFI, goats belly, ect. really a all encompassing thread.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I too read through the entire thread. Seems a lot of good info. Though long ago I decided against intake, air box, degoat mods. They must have went the long road in design for a reason. With this thread it seems there is a restriction, narrowing in the manifold? A disruption in the manifold would cause a problem with turbulence all along the exhaust tract. Seems a simple fix. Remanufacture the connection.

·
Sparky!!!
8,709 Posts
I too read through the entire thread. Seems a lot of good info. Though long ago I decided against intake, air box, degoat mods. They must have went the long road in design for a reason. With this thread it seems there is a restriction, narrowing in the manifold? A disruption in the manifold would cause a problem with turbulence all along the exhaust tract. Seems a simple fix. Remanufacture the connection.
There you hit the nail on the head.. we have two restrictions.
1st is the air chamber that the stock air boxes (ears) feed into, solution, pods or single air filter element, or single carb (have yet to see one on a vn750, but still a thought)
2nd restriction is the goat belly... solution, delete it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.