Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have one of those tombstone windshields and it has been foggy or etched or gray or some other descriptor that means I can't see through it. Not a problem for the most part since I see over it. After a long highway ride where I was sitting a bit far back for comfort purposes, I started getting annoyed by this. I tried using soap/water, olive oil, even a fine metal-polishing paste to see if anything would take it off.

I gave up and stuck a note on the windshield telling the parking police where my parking permit is (they love writing tickets in DC even if you have one). Next day I come out and pull it off. The tape took the coating right off! I grabbed the rest of the roll and applied it on the outside and inside of the shield and it became perfectly transparent! I added some pictures to show the difference.

The specific brand is Bandit clear packaging tape, but any clear packaging tape should work. 1 note though- if you have the Vulcan tombstone windshield like me, you may want to be careful around the logo (that V with wings) the tape will take off those weird lines inside the decal. Doesn't bother me though. I can see!

Attachments

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Wow, how cool is that. Wonder if it would work on my Hellcat. How long do you leave the tape on for tho ? Overnight or less.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
That's great. I love surprise fixes. Gonna try it on mine. It isn't bad but yours came out awesome afterward so I gotta see what happens to mine lol.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
What, a clear shield without elbow grease... Sounds as good as the Mequiars Plasti X I've been usin on my face shield, and without the elbow grease...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
So I have one of those tombstone windshields and it has been foggy or etched or gray or some other descriptor that means I can't see through it. Not a problem for the most part since I see over it. After a long highway ride where I was sitting a bit far back for comfort purposes, I started getting annoyed by this. I tried using soap/water, olive oil, even a fine metal-polishing paste to see if anything would take it off.

I gave up and stuck a note on the windshield telling the parking police where my parking permit is (they love writing tickets in DC even if you have one). Next day I come out and pull it off. The tape took the coating right off! I grabbed the rest of the roll and applied it on the outside and inside of the shield and it became perfectly transparent! I added some pictures to show the difference.

The specific brand is Bandit clear packaging tape, but any clear packaging tape should work. 1 note though- if you have the Vulcan tombstone windshield like me, you may want to be careful around the logo (that V with wings) the tape will take off those weird lines inside the decal. Doesn't bother me though. I can see!
Awesome fix, thanks a ton for sharing it. :smiley_th

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
Jeez, how old was that windscreen? How did it get to look so bad? Was it supposed to be tinted?

My instincts here tell me that you may have removed the "anti scratch" coating off the shield, which means it will now in theory scratch easier....

I know they put coatings on lexan screens to keep them from getting scratched, looks like yours discolored for some reason. Was it clear at o e time while you owned it? What did you use to clean it or do you live near some source of pollution ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know I am the 3rd owner, but there may have been more. I get the feeling it is as old as the bike (a 94). I very well could have taken the anti scratch coating off, but since I couldn't see through it anyhow- no love lost there. Guy before me was in Maryland not too far away. No toxic plants there that I know of...

Side note- upon closer look it didn't take off the artistic lines inside the vn logo.

·
Banned
448 Posts
The windshield will fog over just like plastic headlights. Age, weather, and oxidation will fog them up over time.
I use a 2 step cleaner/polish that I bought from NAPA. Mothers brand, but crap, I have had these 2 bottles for over 3 years. 1st bottle takes out the scratches, and the 2nd polishes the plastic.
I chuck a pad in my drill, put the polish on the plastic, and clean them with little elbow grease, and this stuff works great. Only downfall is that it's $18.00 a bottle, but you get a LOT of uses out of them. I have cleaned roughly 20 sets of headlights for $20.00 a set, so I have made my money back.

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
The windshield will fog over just like plastic headlights. Age, weather, and oxidation will fog them up over time.
k.
I guess I should ask how much time you talking about here... I've been using Plexus cleaner on my Acrylic shield before each ride over the past five years and the screen looks brand new. Not sure if headlight plastic is the same as windscreen plastic ..... But willing to wager the a average owner rarely polishs the headlight on their car (with the proper cleaner) compared to the biker cleaning his windscreen.

Seems to me if you take care of your shield regularly, it should not look like crap unless you've been through a sandstorm. My wife's headlight covers are a bit foggy... but they only get cleaned off when it rains......;)

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Nice tid bit there, thanks for sharing!! If i ever get a winshield i will keep this trick in mind. No toxic plants close by huh? I had to giggle & grin on that one!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
Nice tid bit there, thanks for sharing!! If i ever get a winshield i will keep this trick in mind. No toxic plants close by huh? I had to giggle & grin on that one!!!
One big tid bit for windscreens...ALWAYS wipe them up and down, NEVER side to side. Fine scratches going left/right on the curved surface of your windshield will cause "rainbow" or "star effects" from oncoming lights.

Light scratches running up and down won't.

Always use soft COTTON cloths, never use paper towels..(paper is made from wood, would you wipe your plastic with sticks?)

Other than Plexus, the best thing to use on plastic is soap and water...but, use distilled water with just a few drops of Dawn dish detergent in it, and it won't spot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts