Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my spark plugs out to check them today and they looked good mechanically, but were covered in a fine red dusting. Iv'e never seen this before, and it's not on any spark color chart I can find. Anybody heard or seen of this?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Might be rust in the tank ,pop the cap see if you got rust in the gas tank.also could be any thing that can contaminate the fuel i.e fuel additive or such doe sthe bike run good

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has sea foam in the gas right now. Starts good, except when hot. It has to cool completely first. There is some spotty rust in the tank.

·
Hoser
118 Posts
I had a very nice shade of purple when I used an additive alleged to make older engines live with unleaded fuel in my '56 Chevy. So I bet its in your fuel.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Were you pulling the plugs to try to diagnose a problem? How's your bike running? I've used seafoam for years and never had a color to my plugs except for the normal light browning. Tell us more...

·
Registered
166 Posts
well i just replaced my plugs with iridiums they was only $6.35 at advanced auto. when i pulled my plugs they had the same red dust coating as well???
my tank is spotless no rust anywhere??? mabie its somthing they r putting in the fuel now? i run 87 oct and havent added anything

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
I took my spark plugs out to check them today and they looked good mechanically, but were covered in a fine red dusting. Iv'e never seen this before, and it's not on any spark color chart I can find. Anybody heard or seen of this?
well i just replaced my plugs with iridiums they was only $6.35 at advanced auto. when i pulled my plugs they had the same red dust coating as well???
my tank is spotless no rust anywhere??? mabie its somthing they r putting in the fuel now? i run 87 oct and havent added anything
Maybe you guys are using the same brand of gas?

·
Registered
166 Posts
i have been fueling at valero

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Iv'e been having hot start problems. I use exxon 87 gas. I'm just using regular autolights for the plugs. The engine does have a hickup till it's warmed up. I was told to adjust the pick-up coils, so I did that. It was alot easier than I thought it would be. But I couldn't tell a difference. Maybe my ignition coils are bad. I can't afford new ones. And i keep getting burned on ebay. i got an R/R and it was bad. JC whitney had some they said would work, but I don't if they really would or not.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Hot starts can be a multitude of things. First of all, do you have a maintenance free battery? The wet cell batteries are known for eventually giving you many problems, the least of which is hot start problems. Your plugs are also suspect. I've heard some problems with those plugs in our bikes, but that's not always reliable info. If you want to do yourself some real good, get an MF AGM battery, and invest in a set of iridium NGK plugs. Your hot start problem should be gone.
You said you were buying an R/R. Why? Have you tested your charging system? Just curious.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts