Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at converting a couple other of my bikes to rear running lights and am seeing (I think on the Custom Dynamics site) that a lot of their set-ups come with red lenses. Now, the ones I have on my Vulcan, and the ones dariv is selling, have a red LED cluster that serves as the running light, but then the turn signal comes on amber when needed. My question is: Can turn signals - even rear ones - be red in color? I thought they always had to be amber. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
They have to be amber in New York state.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
The running lights have to be red. Turn signals and stop lights can be anywhere from red to amber. That is for Tx.

·
Banned
448 Posts
Rear running and brake lights have to be red. Rear turn can be red or amber here in Idaho.
How hard would it be to convert rear to running/turn/brake?
The right wiring, and bulbs? It looks like there would have to be 2 separate bulbs in the same housing, ie one for brake/turn, and one for running lights.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rear running and brake lights have to be red. Rear turn can be red or amber here in Idaho.
How hard would it be to convert rear to running/turn/brake?
The right wiring, and bulbs? It looks like there would have to be 2 separate bulbs in the same housing, ie one for brake/turn, and one for running lights.
The Custom Dynamics conversion kits offer a red LED cluster that you glue into the lens itseld. That's wired to the running/brake wires. Then the regular turn signal bulb will show amber when it is powered. It's a pretty slick set-up, but I don't know how to replicate it otherwise. Given that red-as-turn-signal seems to vary from state to state, that definitely isn't gonna work (I live right where MD, VA, and WV converge). :(

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
If you think of cages, there are several that have no amber for the rear turn signal. Here in ohio the turn/brake combination has to be red. This includes the lense color. I'm getting ready to buy some led turn/brake bulbs of ebay for the front which obviously would function as the running/turn & some for the rear. The only suggestion I would add is to use an led rated relay for the flashers as using load resistors do not reduce your load. They equal it out. Which is fine if your not looking to get some extra juice for your scoot. But I need everything I can get with the radio I just added. :)

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you think of cages, there are several that have no amber for the rear turn signal. Here in ohio the turn/brake combination has to be red. This includes the lense color. I'm getting ready to buy some led turn/brake bulbs of ebay for the front which obviously would function as the running/turn & some for the rear. The only suggestion I would add is to use an led rated relay for the flashers as using load resistors do not reduce your load. They equal it out. Which is fine if your not looking to get some extra juice for your scoot. But I need everything I can get with the radio I just added. :)
That's right - for the turn signal LEDs, if you don't adjust the relay, then it just thinks your bulbs are burned out, doesn't it? <sigh> Always something!!:doh:

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've found the relays at local auto stores averaging about $12. Not horrible & no waiting! :)
Really? What would I be looking for? That is, what are the specs so I know 'em when I see 'em? (I hate asking auto store people for anything...I find they often hide their incompetence by treating me like I have no idea what I'm asking for. :mad:)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Remember the old Yamahas? their rear blinkers were red. In fact, many of the pre 70's bikes had red rear and front amber blinkers.

showing my age - crap.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Really? What would I be looking for? That is, what are the specs so I know 'em when I see 'em? (I hate asking auto store people for anything...I find they often hide their incompetence by treating me like I have no idea what I'm asking for. :mad:)
They'll be with all the other relays. Look for one that has on it printed LED.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I used front turn/running lights for the rear and cut a lense to fit. I took a round trailer light lense and cut it to fit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts