Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 600 mile check-up on my 2006 VN750 and was wondering how many owners take their bikes in to the dealer for regular check-ups or do it yourself. I can change the oil, but not much else. The dealer is not cheap. Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think it's normal to take a new bike to a dealer to have it serviced the first time but after that I would reather do the work myself and get to know as much about the bike as possible to keep the maintenance up on it and costs down. I would suggest buying or downloading a manual and use it when it's time for maintenance.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
No, the manual you get with the bike is an Owner's Manual (Motorcycle Owners Manual MOM)
The one you download is a SERVICE manual with step by step how-to's

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I'm not trying to discourage anyone from taking their bike to the dealer for service - especially while it's under warranty. But I chose not to.

The dealer will change the oil and final drive gear oil - both of which are very easy. They should also check the torque on an array of bolts - which are listed in the back of the service manual (you'll need a torque wrench). And, lastly, they should check the sync on the carbs. I bought a TwinMax carb synchronizer box for this but there are also directions on the web for making your own apparatus.

When it comes to servicing the bike - I believe that you only know it was done right (and done at all) if you do it yourself.

If I missed anything I should be doing please let me know.

Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did not get an extended warranty because I planned to work on it myself. I don't think anyone would think you are telling us not to take the bike in for service. I think it is human nature not to go back if you don't have to if you get bitten so hard the first time. It cost me $200 for my 600 mile checkup cause I had them put the modulation on my headlight and tail light. And I brought in the parts. I don't want to let that happen again. Thanks Dianna for the site to download the manual. I plan to really get into it while my bike is sitting in the basement during the snow days of winter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts