Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked through the search and the verses and can't seem to find what I am looking for.

I know how to remove the rear wheel but what I want to know is while it is on the center stand will the rear wheel come off without tittering the bike forward or will I have to titter it forward? I have to take the front wheel off this weekend to get the tire replaced and to work on the front brakes and was thinking if I needed to titter the bike this would be the ideal time but I wasn't too happy of having both wheels off at the same time.

I was going to tie the center stand forard so it wouldn't collapse on me and I could tie strap down the front in so it wouldn't titter back and forth, but still felt uncomfortable about having both wheels off at the same time.

Any help here would be great.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Get a 2x10 piece of wood and put it where the center stand is about to touch the ground. Rock the bike up on the center stand on top of the wood to give you the clearance you need. Take a wratchet strap and wratchet the center stand legs to the front forks so that the center stand can't close. basically stopping the bike from rocking rearward.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
when I had both front and rear off at same time for tire install, I had mine on center stand, and a floor jack under front of motor to keep it stable.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Now that you mention it, I think I did that too once. The thing I miss most about my VN is the center stand. You don't realize how hand it is until you don't have one!

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
You can't take both wheels off at the same time without putting a jack or something under the front end of the bike.

After removing the rear wheel the rear won't tip back unless you sit on it, removing the front wheel too... it might be a good idea to put a block under the swing arm until you get the front wheel back on.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did my splines last weekend. Nothing to taking the wheel off. Twas super simple. Just need all the tools.....basic stuff.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For some reason I can't find the thread where I asked about the lube that is needed on the splines on the rear wheel. I went to the auto parts store yesterday but couldn't find any lube that remotely came close to anything I could remember was right like I think I remember Moly Lube 60 weight. They had a lube that worked for differentials but I wasn't sure if that would work. Give me the kinds again and if possible where to get it.

I am shooting for the end of this week to be riding the bike. I got the tag and insurance today and a new tire and air filters this week. Woo hoo, can't wait to ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts