Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm sure this will fall under as a dumb question. Recently I bought the rear turn signal relocation kit. I'd like to do this myself and save $ from going to the bike shop. My question is about wire splicing. The pckg came with wire since the turn signal will be located in the rear and the signal wire is too short to reach where it connects under the seat. Can I just cut the two wire ends and wrap them together and wrap them with one wire to reach the reconnect place under the seat? Can anybody help me please... Thank you!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Which relocation kit did you get?
You could splice them, but it would be better if you were able to use connectors similar to the ones on the bike. Or you could go to the automotive store to get waterproof connectors.
The problem with splicing is that they have a higher possibility of coming loose.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Or ya could solder the connection and heatshrink... I wouldn't reccomend splice and electrical tape - as mentioned, it'd probably come loose eventually...

There's also a twist type splice connector (mentioned on this forum somewhere) that ya can pick up at most auto parts store... many seem to love em.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hello, I'm sure this will fall under as a dumb question. Recently I bought the rear turn signal relocation kit. I'd like to do this myself and save $ from going to the bike shop. My question is about wire splicing. The pckg came with wire since the turn signal will be located in the rear and the signal wire is too short to reach where it connects under the seat. Can I just cut the two wire ends and wrap them together and wrap them with one wire to reach the reconnect place under the seat? Can anybody help me please... Thank you!
The kit should have come with inline splicing connectors that work very well. If it didn't you should contact LeatherLyke and get the ones they usually supply with the kit.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that sounds interesting - when I get home tonight I will dig thru the pckg and look for the inline splicers connections and if none I will call them in the morning. Tks...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Or ya could solder the connection and heatshrink... I wouldn't reccomend splice and electrical tape - as mentioned, it'd probably come loose eventually...

BINGO! A motorcycle is officially a harsh enviroment, even if you park it in your living room after a ride. Riding subjects every component the bike is made of to vibration, temperature, and moisture. Solder and heatshrink is the closest thing to a contuinous length of wire with no connection. Its time comsuming opposed to a crimped connection but solid in the long run.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Actually... it's not that much more time consuming... if of course ya have a decent solder iron and not one of the stupid press the trigger to get heat type...

I've found that with my solder iron, if I plug it in and go check the mail or the like (to let it heat up) and come back it probably takes a total of twice as long (a whole minute) to solder AND heatshrink vs crimping it - and I know it'll last.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts