Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I got off of E Bay an extra set of front turn signals. I put these on the back so that I could also have running lights on the rear of the bike. I also obtained red lenses to replace the amber. Before I came down with the stomach flu this past weekend I wired in a couple of relays and some diodes. This circuit allows the rear turn/running lights to act as running lights, turn signals and brake lights. The relay energizes when the brake and turn signal are both on. It cuts out the brake by creating a holding circuit and allowing only the turn signal to work. Once the turn signal is released the brake comes back on. The standard OEM brake light/tail light is unaffected by this. In the tail light brake light housing I use the Kisan tailblazer bulbs.
This circuit will work with the standard rear turn signals as well. Now I know there are products on the market you can buy that will do the same thing and maybe even better but it was more fun making my own. Plus not counting the lens and the front turns I put on the back, the relays and diodes were less than $20.
If any is interested in this I can post the design. It does take some wiring prowess and soldering, understanding diodes, etc. but is not hard to do.

Stargazer

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds like a real cool mod. I don't "understand" much of anything when it comes to "wiring prowess and soldering, understanding diodes" but would still like to see the plans and/or some pics. Thanks..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't have any pixs. I don't think pixs would help a lot any way but I can post a schematic and parts list.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well the pics were more just to see how it looked (Sweet I am
sure). But if it is not much trouble, it would be great if you
could send me a schematic/part lists and detailed write up. If I
have to do a TS relocate for the saddlebags may do this at the same
time...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got the wrong turn signals as replacements on eBay, so I have 3wire signals for the rear. If you still have those designs, etc, I would be interested in modifying my bike to use that kind of set up. Too expensive to replace the whole signal again!

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Stargazer,

Just an idea...

I was thinking about your offer and how this would benefit the 3,000 plus members. A schematic would be outstanding. Pictures would be a second choice followed by materials, tools, tips and tricks and if you put it all together in a concise manner I would nominate you for a not yet defined status of "immortal" because this information presented properly would benefit everyone even after we move on. On top of this if you make improvements on your documentation I would even go so far as to purchase something from you like a materials kit to make it all happen. Keeping this information here at this site would be a terrific idea. Mr. Stargazer…You are a great Amerian!

·
Registered
165 Posts
T/S for rear running brake lights

I used the three wire T/Ss from the front of my bike when I used vn800 T/S for relocate to accomodate my Fats W/S. Pics are in the gallery and in my yahoo photos listed in my signature.

I used smoke lenses and LEDs to save amperage.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Umm guys... this is a 3 year old tread.

However - there's been talk about using a trailer relay to do the same thing (I'm planning on the same).

About $20 at an autoparts store.

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
07-27-2004, 10:13 PM Damn, right you are. Hah, I've got to pay closer attention.

Thanks curtis97322 for pointing that out. I was following along like a freakin sheeple.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Teehee... truth be told I only noticed because I found the thread a while back with a search and almost spoke up asking for the schematic - then realized it was OLD.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Teehee... truth be told I only noticed because I found the thread a while back with a search and almost spoke up asking for the schematic - then realized it was OLD.
same here...

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
If you're wanting to do the mod that's described - I can attest that a trailer wiring device works well. Part number in my sig. Do a search for the part number and you'll see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
721 Posts
the saddle bag supports that kawasaki sells has relocation kit.. I am gonna go that route..

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
The hoppy taillight converter only cost about $20.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts