Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to change out my rear tire , is there any o ring or gasket that im going to need to get when i take the tire off the bike and do this job? i looked on cheap cycle part and really dont know what i need as far as replaceing the tire

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,712 Posts
if you are just going to change the tire, then no. you should not need anything but a new tire. if you are going to lube the splines (this is a good time to do it. you'd be half way there), you may need a new small "o" ring for the spline shaft.

·
Banned
431 Posts
Need to replace the cotter pin in the rear axle nut for sure, and I would recommend some lube for where the wheel meets the final drive gear case. In addition to the tire, I would replace the valve stem and core (about 2 bucks) since you're already gonna have the tire off, some members prefer an angled stem to make filling the tire easier. Also, balancing weights if you are going to balance the tire. Some people also like a product called Ride-On.. I've never used it, but it sounds appealing.

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
Need to replace the cotter pin in the rear axle nut for sure, and I would recommend some lube for where the wheel meets the final drive gear case. In addition to the tire, I would replace the valve stem and core (about 2 bucks) since you're already gonna have the tire off, some members prefer an angled stem to make filling the tire easier. Also, balancing weights if you are going to balance the tire. Some people also like a product called Ride-On.. I've never used it, but it sounds appealing.
KM, do you have a method for balancing the tire? I was thinking I could do the mounting an all, but that I would have to take the wheel to the 'steel'ership for a good balancing. I would LOVE to be able to do a good job of it at home.

·
Banned
431 Posts
http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing.html

This guy illustrates a pretty good way to balance a motorcycle tire, but to be honest, I would pay the 25-35 bucks to get the tire mounted and balanced at a bike shop, unless you just want the experience. Unless you have all of the right tools, by the time you break down the old tire, mount the new one, and balance the tire, you will be wishing you had taken it to the shop.

Oh, and by shop, I do NOT mean the steelership; take it to a real motorcycle shop.

·
Registered
738 Posts
KM, do you have a method for balancing the tire? I was thinking I could do the mounting an all, but that I would have to take the wheel to the 'steel'ership for a good balancing. I would LOVE to be able to do a good job of it at home.
Then use Dynabeads.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im just takeing the rear wheel off and haveing a friends shop mount and balance the new tire , i was just makeing sure there wasnt some stupid piece i would need to replace after i got the wheel off the bike

·
Banned
448 Posts
The local Yamaha dealership only charges $20.00 to mount and balance, and they have my bikes tires in stock! The tires are a little spendy tho at $150.00 for a rear, but I'm not sure what brand it is.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I second the Dyna Beads and Motorcycle Superstore. I have had them in my tires for over 8 thousand miles and my tires are wearing evenly. I have Shinkos and I feel I'm gonna be way over 10,000 before it's time to change them out.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i got dunlop 404's

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts