Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Daily Rider
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here ever ran an IRC Wildfire rear tire? I put one on last March and (after my wreck) clocked about 4,000 miles on it. It blew out on my way to work the day before Thanksgiving. It is completely wore out. If I had seen the wear spot I wouldn't have ridden it that day.
Any input on these tires would be a big help.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Whoa, only 4k miles on that rear tire? I would never touch that brand again with a ten foot pole. I have 4k on a Shinko tour master at the moment and it is performing/wearing perfectly.

·
Daily Rider
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, I got 8,000 out of my Dunlop 404 before this IRC. So much for trying a "cheaper" tire. The tire handled great but I'm going back to dunlop I think.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Ya, I got 8,000 out of my Dunlop 404 before this IRC. So much for trying a "cheaper" tire. The tire handled great but I'm going back to dunlop I think.
Well, could have just been too soft a compound for the bike. Sport bike tires use soft compounds, and don't last for shiit....but make the bike handle great.

Finding the ideal compromise between wear and stick is what choosing a tire is all about.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Guess I'd lucky, I've got over 15k on my Pirelli MT66 (150/90) and it still have several thousand left in her. One of the biggest keys for long rear tire life is don't use down-shifting for braking, that takes thousands of the life of a tire.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Guess I'd lucky, I've got over 15k on my Pirelli MT66 (150/90) and it still have several thousand left in her. One of the biggest keys for long rear tire life is don't use down-shifting for braking, that takes thousands of the life of a tire.
Yes, but your removing some of the fun.

The 750 really does not have the power or weight to go through a rear tire fast. Even if you ride like I do.;) getting around 15,000 miles out of the rear is not unusual.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I backed off the throttle @ take off, after 4000 miles and a new tire ....LOL
WilliamTech

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
guess i shouldnt be hard on the 404's.................naaaaaaaaaa if i wanted to ride easy i would have bought a harley

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes, but your removing some of the fun.

The 750 really does not have the power or weight to go through a rear tire fast. Even if you ride like I do.;) getting around 15,000 miles out of the rear is not unusual.
Being almost 60 anytime I can get my leg up over the saddle and remembering where I left my keys without help is a fun ride. :) But seriously, my S11 that was on her lasted about 9k before it needed replacing. The guy that I got her from put it on there, so just guessing at the total miles, but the date on the tire was just 4 months old when I got her.

·
Daily Rider
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A real pisser, a buddy of mine at work gave me a Dunlop D404 170/80-15, only 200 miles on it but it has a nail hole in it. Guess I'll find someone that can use it with a tube.

·
Registered
738 Posts
A real pisser, a buddy of mine at work gave me a Dunlop D404 170/80-15, only 200 miles on it but it has a nail hole in it. Guess I'll find someone that can use it with a tube.
I would check the manufacture date on the sidewall, before giving that tire to someone (or using it yourself). If the tire is over 5 years old, then it is no good, regardless of its mileage. There are other threads where the topic of tire age vs tread wear is beaten to death. (not looking to resurrect it again).

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
I'd patch it myself. They make patches that are a combination of a flat patch and a string patch. Only issue is the tire needs to be off the wheel to install...not a problem with you.

If it won't hold air....nothing lost for the cost.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I have gotten 20,000 miles out of the stock Bridgestone Excedra rear, and around 18,000 out of the ME880 and MT66. I run them at max pressure as stated on the sidewall, and almost always ride solo. I run them alll the way down to the wear bars. I plug flats with those string type plugs you insert from the outside. I have an ME880 on the rear right now with just over 10,000 miles on it, and 2 plugs in it. After the second plug, which happened around the 2000 mile point, I put a bottle of Ride-On in it. So even if a plug were to come out, it should not go flat. At worst it would lose a little bit of air over a period of time, giving me ample warning. Unless they are BADLY damaged (or are already completely worn out and almost worn through) tubeless tires do not "blow out" and loose all their air instantly like tube type tires do. I do not recommend putting a tube in a tubeless tire. It takes a LOT less to puncture a tube type tire than a tubeless one. I have had tube type tires punctured by thorns, that went flat on the spot, and tubeless tires punctured by nails and screws that held air for hundreds of miles. Some I only found by inspecting the tire. If you put a tube in it, that means using the valve stem on the tube, and if the tube is punctured, it will pop like a balloon, and all the air will leak out through the valve stem hole. Also, tubeless tires are far more difficult to mount and demount than tube type tires with their flimsy sidewalls that were not designed to hold air. Breaking the bead on a huge tubeless tire like a Vulcan rear might be impossible out on the road.

·
Daily Rider
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To cglennon, the tire is new, the guy I got it from put it on early last year and when he went out and had a flat he just bought a new tire, (HD rider). To KM and Jerry, where would I find the combo patch? If I can get it sealed it's going on the bike for next year.

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
To cglennon, the tire is new, the guy I got it from put it on early last year and when he went out and had a flat he just bought a new tire, (HD rider). To KM and Jerry, where would I find the combo patch? If I can get it sealed it's going on the bike for next year.

Thanks guys
Go to any major tire store and tell them you want one of the patch plug combo's, they will probably install it for you for a little extra moolah,they are very good at sealing a tire from the inside and also in the hole as well.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Car tire places patch nail punctures in car tires all the time. The remove the tire, and install the patch from inside. It has a large flat surface area that actually (get this) vulcanizes to the inside if the tire. However, they might be afraid to mess with a motorcycle tire. I just used those things (Victor brand I think) that look like sticky black shoestrings, you thread them through the eye of the insertion tool, push it all the way through, so the "string" is all the way inside the tire, then pull it partially back out, and cut it off real close to the tire. I coated mine with rubber cement, included with the kit, before putting them in.

·
Daily Rider
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I looked at the tire closer today and found the nail hole along with the words on the sidewall that say Tube Type. Oh well, I'll just buy a new tire.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts