Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at my back tire today I noticed straight down the center over half of it is bald but a little of it still has tread. I've been noticing a little wobble in the front but believe the rear tire may be causing it. has anyone else had uneven wear like this, will try to post a pic tomorrow!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Do you downshift and "chirp" (skid) the rear tire when slowing down?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
looking at my back tire today I noticed straight down the center over half of it is bald but a little of it still has tread. I've been noticing a little wobble in the front but believe the rear tire may be causing it. has anyone else had uneven wear like this, will try to post a pic tomorrow!
sounds like you have worn that one out regardless.After you get past the normal tire life(past the wear bars in the tread pattern)normal wear patterns go out the window.

it is just time for a new tire,did you like the way that one handled or did it not get as long of a life as you expected?think about these factors and decice if you want another one or something different.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like you have worn that one out regardless.After you get past the normal tire life(past the wear bars in the tread pattern)normal wear patterns go out the window.

it is just time for a new tire,did you like the way that one handled or did it not get as long of a life as you expected?think about these factors and decice if you want another one or something different.
I have to put a rear on almost every summer (dunlop 404) think I'll be trying a diff brand this year as I only get 8 - 10000 miles on these. I've only skid it a few times (close call with deers) but wouldnt think enough to cause bald spots!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I have to put a rear on almost every summer (dunlop 404) think I'll be trying a diff brand this year as I only get 8 - 10000 miles on these. I've only skid it a few times (close call with deers) but wouldnt think enough to cause bald spots!
That's about the best you'll do with a 404,the Metzeler is a little more expensive,but after going thru several 404's on the rear I put a Metz on the back of mineand put about 5000 on it before selling it and it was wearing very well ,plus the handling was great wet and dry.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Got 15,000 from Pirelli MT66 on rear. Front still looks good.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Once your tread is worn down that far, you can easily be sliding the rear wheel slightly while braking and not know it. When the rear on my Ninja 650 went, I knew it was time becuase at speed with a crosswind, the rear was sliding around.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Once your tread is worn down that far, you can easily be sliding the rear wheel slightly while braking and not know it. When the rear on my Ninja 650 went, I knew it was time becuase at speed with a crosswind, the rear was sliding around.
Thanks for this insight AJ. It makes perfect sense, but having such limited riding time, I have never experienced wearing out a set of tires yet. It will be something to watch for when my tires get down to the wear bars.

I have read that most rapid tire failure occurs in the last 10% of a tire`s tread life.
That is a good enough reason for me not to try to squeeze the last few hundred miles out of worn out "rags".

·
Registered
796 Posts
Sounds like what the others have said. Time to get a new tire.

In reading your 1st post......is the wear a bit to the left of the center of the tire. If that is what you consider uneven wear that is normal. The crown of the road makes the tire wear a bit off center. I'm still running my CT and loving it. Granted I've only got around 3000 on it so far but I'm expecting at LEAST 40,000 miles on it.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like what the others have said. Time to get a new tire.

In reading your 1st post......is the wear a bit to the left of the center of the tire. If that is what you consider uneven wear that is normal. The crown of the road makes the tire wear a bit off center. I'm still running my CT and loving it. Granted I've only got around 3000 on it so far but I'm expecting at LEAST 40,000 miles on it.
it is wore a little more on that side but straight down the center there is tread in a spot (very little) but slick on the rest. And yes, I know its time for a tire. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts