Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Blake W.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 vn750. The bike is up on the center stand and when I engage the clutch and put the bike in 1st the rear tire spins like the clutch is not engaging. Cable is fine. Checked to make sure the lever was connected and moving and it is. Does the clutch need replacing or adjusting? :BLAM: This is my first bike so learnning as I go. Next job is the splines.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I have a 1991 vn750. The bike is up on the center stand and when I engage the clutch and put the bike in 1st the rear tire spins like the clutch is not engaging. Cable is fine. Checked to make sure the lever was connected and moving and it is. Does the clutch need replacing or adjusting? :BLAM: This is my first bike so learnning as I go. Next job is the splines.
Not to demean you in any way, but when you say ingageing the clutch, you are letting it out. Or in other words, the lever is away from the handle bar??
Have you ridden the bike?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Mine does too. Can you stop the wheel from turning by carefully and gently touching the sidewall with your toe? If not, it needs adjustment.

·
Banned
448 Posts
Another way to check is to sit on the bike with it on the centerstand, put it in gear, and let the clutch out, then slowly apply the rear brake. That way, there are no body parts near the tire (safety issue). Sorry flitecontrol. Not meaning to step on your toes :)
Clutch could be a little sticky from sitting. Mine will turn when I put it in gear on the centerstand with the clutch pulled in (disengaged) till it is warmed up, but mine needs an oil change. Mine was real bad when I first got it, but it had been sitting for 9 months.
After I had ridden it a few times, it is better.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Same as what flite said. If you can not stop the wheel with your toe using very little resistance, you can adjust the clutch cable with the adjuster by the clutch lever. The cable will stretch over time and needs periodic adjustment but do it in small increments. If you tighten the clutch cable too much it will slip while driving.

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
The rear tire turning is normal. Just as long as the bike ain't moving forward when the tires on the ground...(with either the clutch lever is pulled in while it is in gear, or the bike is in neutral of course....)

Even chain drive bikes will do this.

What is even cooler is having the front wheel off the ground and seeing it turn by itself when you rev the motor....

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Not to demean you in any way, but when you say ingageing the clutch, you are letting it out. Or in other words, the lever is away from the handle bar??
Have you ridden the bike?
The semantics can be confusing to write about and interpret what others mean eh niterider?:confused:

Namely, engaging the clutch lever (pulling it in) causes the clutch plates to disengage, and break the power connection between the engine and tranny.

Conversely, disengaging the lever (letting it out) causes the clutch plates to engage and and connect power to the drive train and rear wheel.

·
Blake W.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I can stop the tire with the brake so it's good. Just got a little worried. Bought it for $750 and have put about $200 in it and have it running and ready to ride thanks to all the info on here. Thanks for the input and all the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts