Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking That buying a New rear tire and looking at the one I have it is a 140 90 15. If I remember right the service manual recommends a 150 90 15. If I buy a 150 90 15 Can I just stick it on the rim I have? Will it cause any problems?

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
You should be able to. The stock rear is 150/90-15 and a lot of us have gone to a 170/80-15 which fits on the wheel ( rim )

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a reason or advantage to the 170/80-15?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Most, not all as it depends on the brand, 170/80's are taller tires than the 150/90's, so less rpm per mph and a bit better mpg's. Being a wider tire you will also have a bigger contact patch on the road. But the 150/90 is the stock size and you should have better performance with the 150/90 vs the 140/90. Also the 170/80 can be a real PITA to get passed the final drive.

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick to the 150/90 as I'm going for as little tweaking as possible since this is my first bike.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I did the 170 and had no issues,, It was easy to install and made my bike handle much better..

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got a set of Pirelli Night Dragons and the rear is a 170/80-15. To get it past the final drive was really no big deal. I let out the air until 10 psi put a paper towel over the final drive to keep the grease off the tire and worked it in side to side.
Great tires for the few rides i've done so far. I find myself dropping more aggressively in the corners and getting on the throttle a little harder on the exit.

For anyone who likes to ride like this, go with the lower bars too! :motorcycl

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another question I'll throw in here. Is a higher load/speed rating always better? 74H is oem but I found a rear 80V tire, higher in both regards, is there any reason I shouldn't get it?

·
Registered
441 Posts
i just had the oversized tires put on yesterday. I went with Shinko 203s and i can definitely tell the difference. It feels fatter on the ground to give some more stability. Admittedly, some of that may be strictly brand new tires as opposed to tires that didn't have a whole lot of tread left, but I like the way it feels

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Another question I'll throw in here. Is a higher load/speed rating always better? 74H is oem but I found a rear 80V tire, higher in both regards, is there any reason I shouldn't get it?
The higher rated tires may be incrementally safer as they can withstand more load and speed. Generally speaking higher-rated tires have thicker or more plies (or a different material for plys) and are stiffer.

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any recommendations for places to mount and balance tires? I found some good low priced ones online but I called a few shops and some places want $75 (PER TIRE!) to mount and balance.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Any recommendations for places to mount and balance tires? I found some good low priced ones online but I called a few shops and some places want $75 (PER TIRE!) to mount and balance.
do it yourself!! soapy water as a lube, you just gotta find the "sweet spot" with the tire irons, you DO NOT need the jumbo ones, some 10 or 12 inch irons are fine, and don't try to muscle it off, like i said find the sweet spot with the irons maybe 2 to 3 inches apart, "nibble" the tire from the rim, once you do a few it's no big deal. there is no tube to pop. do the front first, it is much easier. it will prepare you for the rear. be careful not to scratch the rim with the irons. just monkey around until you get the sweet spot and forget about "he-manning" the tire off. there are probably lots of youtube vids on it (i should do one, i have some 2 stroke mx motor teardown vids out there now) and it is not difficult. make sure you get the rotation right.

well you are thinking "what about balancing?" oh yeah forget that computer balancing machine. the reason shops use it is because it is FAST but it is by no means ACCURATE. consider that race bikes have all tires balanced by hand!! and, forget that balance stand harbor freight has, you don't need it. i use two sawhorses just far enough apart to clear the tire. put the axle thru the wheel. put one end of the axle on one sawhorse and the other end on the other sawhorse (borrow 'em if you don't have 'em). use a level to get the axle level side to side and each sawhorse relatively level on the top edge (lengthways). tap a nail or drive a screw into the sawhorses to hold the axle in place, i use screws and a screwgun and angle the screws in a "v" shape, just to keep the axle from rolling around. now spin the wheel, it should be spun hard enough to make 2 or 3 revolutions. put a piece of tape or a little sticker at the 6 o'clock position once it stops spinning. that is your heavy point. start adding temporary lead weights (taped on) until the wheel comes to rest in three different spots roughly 120 degrees apart. this generally takes 5 minutes or so a wheel.

your wheel will now be perfectly balanced, much better than by computer. do you ever see the tech re-spin the wheel on the machine after the weights are added? no!! it's all about turnaround and profit! be sure to use soap bubbles on the tire beads after you are done, just to check for leaks. and check the stems with soap, replace as needed. me and my son did my vn750 and his en450, i have done nearly all of my own tire changes over the years. and YES i have money, i just prefer to do simple repairs like that myself, there's a pride in your work each time you mount your bike knowing you have done it yourself.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Combatchuck, you military? If so, I do my mounting the Post auto craft shop. Cost me $3. Then I hand balance. I did get a Harbor Freight balancing stand, but I found that I really didn't need it. The bearings on the tires turn and not the stand bearings. As Sparkingdogg said, the axles and sawhorse method will work just fine.

·
Member? ... check.
547 Posts
Great info Sparkingdogg ! I'm going to mount and balance my next set all by my self. :smiley_th

Tires not only have a directional arrow most of the time, but usually also have a conspicuous initial balancing spot marked on the tire. When you mount the tire, align the spot with the valve stem.

~~C8> :beerchug:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Great info Sparkingdogg ! I'm going to mount and balance my next set all by my self.
yeah bro, like i said just don't muscle it!! years ago i bought some 24" tire bars thinking it would make life easier. wrong!! they are dangerous as hell, if it slips from your hand it is gonna whack you right in the kisser with enough force to knock your teeth out. just google different ways to break the bead, you can get a tool to do it but there are various other ways, and often they can be loosened by hand. i have a harbor frieght tire machine, the bead breaker works ok but the tire machine is a joke, i broke the first one. i use it just to hold the wheel and use the 10" tire irons. i wouldn't waste another $100 on the crappy tire machine plus it takes up a ton of room and gotta be bolted down to the floor.

yeah you can balance the wheel on the bike, i like to use the sawhorse way since the wheel is already off and it saves my old butt from bending way over to do it. i would never waste my money on a balancing stand when it is totally unneeded.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The bearings on the tires turn and not the stand bearings
dude, you got tire bearings on your bike?? sweet! hehe

·
Registered
445 Posts
dude, you got tire bearings on your bike?? sweet! hehe
But of course. And sometimes I lose my bearings on my bike. Like one foggy night getting on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Went North instead of South and road an extra 80 miles to get to my campsite. :doh:

·
Registered
194 Posts
But of course. And sometimes I lose my bearings on my bike. Like one foggy night getting on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Went North instead of South and road an extra 80 miles to get to my campsite. :doh:
haha my wife called me when i was an hour from home, in the dark, tired from driving, just got gas and was getting back on i-80 and i told her i don't like talking while hauling a load of bikes in the dark, too distracting with these damned cell phones. after about 30 minutes the local radio station started to fade... yeah i was going the wrong way! yeah about 80 miles! yeah i know the feeling! :beerchug:

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is there anything on here about taking off the rear tire? I don't see anything in the verses, just something for the front tire.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts