Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ... I just picked up a 91 vn750 it's in great shape ..9000 org miles.....can't get it to roll ....rear tire locked in gear im assuming....shifter not getting any gears....Im a back yard mechanic can usually figure out problems well...but bikes are new to me....I need some help figuring out what to... Low on funds please help.......

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
May be broken shift linkage.

Is the shifter sloppy with a lot of travel? Will it roll with the clutch pulled in?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Like Spockster said, probably a broken shifter linkage. The shift lever will flop up and down and not even try to push into a gear. If the linkage broke while in-gear, you'll be permanently locked in gear with the clutch being the only way to get the rear wheel to turn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update .....got bike running...I have gears and can get neutral...when I put in gear and let clutch out it just stalls...rear wheel is locked up ...even with clutch in wheel will not turn at all....im pretty sure it's not the brakes...any ideas ????

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
there is a kickstand safety switch that will cause it to shut off if its in gear and kickstand down, and clutch lever released.. its a common problem, the switch sticks in the closed (pushed in) condition.

can you roll the bike with it in gear and clutch lever pulled?

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
You could try unbolting the brake stay and actuator rod from the brake assembly, on the right side of the wheel. Then try to move the bike back and forth just a couple of inches.

If the brake assembly rotates, the brakes are stuck. Don't move the bike too far with the stay unbolted.

Otherwise, I'd have to think the rear gear must be locked up. If the front bevel gear was locked, I would think the wheel would still move just slightly, maybe 1/4" or less.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
You might not have to remove the actuator, just remove the brake stay and see if the whole brake assembly rotates with the wheel ,and see if you can rotate the brake assy. by hand. Just don't rip the brake cable loose when you roll the wheel. The brake stay is the flat bar in the pic....

If the brakes aren't locked, I guess the next step is to remove the final drive and see where the driveline is locked up.

·
2,504 Posts
I'm about 1-1/2 hours from you, If you can't figure it out you can always tow it down to me. I've fixed just about everything on these bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I'm going to pull brake assembly off like spockster said sounds like a good starting point......thanks for all the help guys....I may take u up on taking a look at it shark 88 if I can't figure it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well guys got the bike up and running...splines on shaft were rusted fast ...pulled it all apart n cleaned n fresh grease runs like a champ ..lol well pretty much...having carb issues now...but wanted to thank everyone for their input....happy motoring.....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Sweet

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts