Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After work on a friday coworkers and I were sitting at the bar at Chilis.:beerchug: Then one of the guys got the phone call that Big AL dumped his bike, a Honda GW.
What ended up happining was his rear tire blew out. He let it go way to long, and he even talked about needing a new tire and was looking on line for one.
He's ok just some road rash (nice helmet), but he said that when it happened the front steering started to wobble and he could'nt control it and next thing he was on the pavement.
I have always kind thought that a rear tire problem would be more of a controlable situation, of course this was an instant catostrophic failure of the rear tire. My one question is, Is there a way to control a wobbling front end. or does it just happen so fast theres nothing you can do?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The Gold Wing is so heavy I would think either tire let go ALL hell break loose. Good to hear his good as he is. We only have 2 points of contact with the pavement when riding and I would want to make sure they are good specialy on on heavy bike. If not you will sooner or later make more points of contact with the pavement.

·
Registered
450 Posts
If the rear gets all wild like that and/or changes the handling of the front, lock that rear tire up untill you safely stop. This will keep one contact patch and will not vary rear handling on any bike. It is always a good thing to experiment locking the rear and see how it handles in the event of blow out or a lock up. Most never had a rear locked and wouldn't know what would or wouldn't happen in the event if it did. A locked rear is not hard to control and can prevent further accidents like the one posted or another situation.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
A tubed tire is a worse blow than a tubeless. Tubless tend to keep their shape even at low pressure (rode mine at 10lbs/30mph pressure in rear to get air today)...and yaaa...a front blowout is an almost immediate laydown, etc...and depending on speed, a rear can still retain some control over the bike until you stop. The rear on my old Sportster (tube) blew at around 50mph...I gently slowed it down using the engine until I stopped and packed it full of sod to continue.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
99% of the time a tubeless tire is not going to "blow"....it looses air quickly but takes enough time to get the bike over the side of the road safely. Letting a tire go until it's so weak and rotted it explodes is of course not a good thing.

Loosing air in the front is usually more dangerous as far as control goes.....assessing the problem quickly ang getting the bike stopped ASAP is important.

Again, another good plug for Ride On...( pun intended )

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
A tubed tire is a worse blow than a tubeless. Tubless tend to keep their shape even at low pressure (rode mine at 10lbs/30mph pressure in rear to get air today)...and yaaa...a front blowout is an almost immediate laydown, etc...and depending on speed, a rear can still retain some control over the bike until you stop. The rear on my old Sportster (tube) blew at around 50mph...I gently slowed it down using the engine until I stopped and packed it full of sod to continue.
landscaping takes on a new spin.wow.luckily i have never had a blowout(he says as he crosses his fingers)

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
...deja vu....
Oooops. Sorry for repeating. I read the forum from my IPhone. It many times will not refresh a page I've left open.. Meaning that anyone's posts put up between the the times I reopen the thread aren't shown. Most times I remember to refresh the link, some times I forget.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Sokay brother Knife...no ill....I know ya been having issues with yer phone thing....was just pokin ya a bit like you poke me at times.... ;)

...hey DirtyDoc...you been in Norwich long ?...I used to go up that way to my buddy's farm in the 70s...huntin, shootin, snowmobilin and drinkin...went to the races in Unadilla too...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I read somewhere that 90% of tire punctures and other tire failure occurs in the last 10% of tread wear. :doh:
I guess that is a reminder to change out your tires before you`re down to the wear bars and you can see what color the air inside them is!!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
and you can see what color the air inside them is!!
They should make tires, for trucks and cages too, that as soon as they aint safe, start showing a fluorescent color thru them...easily done...can be woven into the belt/tread...I should pattent that and make a gazillion dollars...but I wont, and someone else will...meh....lol....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
Sokay brother Knife...no ill....I know ya been having issues with yer phone thing....was just pokin ya a bit like you poke me at times.... ;)

...hey DirtyDoc...you been in Norwich long ?...I used to go up that way to my buddy's farm in the 70s...huntin, shootin, snowmobilin and drinkin...went to the races in Unadilla too...
been in norwich about 12 years,been in sidney area since 1990.have an uncle who has a farm in edmeston

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
They should make tires, for trucks and cages too, that as soon as they aint safe, start showing a fluorescent color thru them...easily done...can be woven into the belt/tread...I should pattent that and make a gazillion dollars...but I wont, and someone else will...meh....lol....
that is a cool idea

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
funny Wolfie.i was reading through your bike build post again and realized we have something in common.i lost my virginity in hardyston too.lol

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I read somewhere that 90% of tire punctures and other tire failure occurs in the last 10% of tread wear. :doh:
I guess that is a reminder to change out your tires before you`re down to the wear bars and you can see what color the air inside them is!!
Yeah, tire pressure and tire condition are 2 items on my pre-ride checklist. I do believe, short of owning a functional crystal ball, there are things on the road that are truly unforeseeable. I also believe luck favors the prepared.

I'm glad Big Al is ok, I hope the bike isn't too damaged either.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
Must just be "that kinda place", lolol
maybe the girls are easy?lol.no really there are lots of back roads around there.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...a LOT !...not to mention the woods of Stokes Forest !
...and yaaa, all farm girls...guys were always too tired from working the fields all day, sooooooooooo....*innocent look*

1 - 18 of 18 Posts