Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stock rear shocks with the 1-4 dial. However, the dial makes no difference in how far the bike sinks when I sit on it. I can set it to 1 or 4 but it doesn't seem any different. Is something worn out in the shock?

-Robert

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
I didn't find it made any difference on mine either but i think its more to do with the absorption rather than height. May be wrong but i dont think they're for height adjustment.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
It does put the spring under more tension and make it a bit stiffer for a heavier rider or with a passenger... If you are still bottoming out check the air, that will make them even stronger... I have never ran over 30 psi in mine, the main thing is to use a shock pump or you can get it done with a bicycle fork pump, they hold such a small amount of air that the least bit of air loss when removing the pump will deflate a lot of pressure...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
133 Posts
like i said in a earlier post..........do what you want with these crappy stock shocks,,,,it will not make any difference. :doh: replacement shocks is the answer,,but that costs $$$,,something not a lot have got these days !!.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
The settings on the shock adjust rebound dampening only....NOT preload, which is what changes ride height, (Sorry OD, but you're wrong)
You can adjust shock preload some by adding air- but this is not true "spring preload" as found on other shocks.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I have stock rear shocks with the 1-4 dial. However, the dial makes no difference in how far the bike sinks when I sit on it. I can set it to 1 or 4 but it doesn't seem any different. Is something worn out in the shock?

-Robert
The 1-4 dial on the rear shocks is to adjust the dampening, or return to extension on rebound. It has nothing to do with compression of the shock or adjustment of shock length with rider in the seat. 1 is softest, 4 is stiffest.

To adjust for softer or stiffer compression add or release air pressure from shock.
As mentioned previously use a shock or fork pump, preferably with a zero loss fitting to the valve.
Usable range is 0-43 psi.
Max is 71 psi.

Clymer manual suggestion for a 150 lb rider including load is #2 damper setting and atmospheric pressure (0 psi).

Heavier riders will set dampers higher, and others have suggested pressuring the shocks to 10% of the riders total weight and load. ie. 300 lb rider and load = 30 psi in shock.

And rev it up is right, according to several other members whose opinion I respect, these shocks are pretty crappy.
Progressive shocks and front fork springs are the way to go for an improved ride!!:smiley_th

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/productlinemetric.html
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/prodSearchResults.aspx?yearID=1991&makeID=41&modelID=452

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
The settings on the shock adjust rebound dampening only....NOT preload, which is what changes ride height, (Sorry OD, but you're wrong)
You can adjust shock preload some by adding air- but this is not true "spring preload" as found on other shocks.
Hey, I'm old enough to be wrong every now and again... Actually I was thinking more about the air anyway... I forgot most springs get softer when compressed... But I thought I was wrong once before but I was mistaken...lol...

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Hey, I'm old enough to be wrong every now and again... Actually I was thinking more about the air anyway... I forgot most springs get softer when compressed... But I thought I was wrong once before but I was mistaken...lol...
Being wrong now and then is just part of being human. My dad always said "if you don't make a mistake now and then....something is wrong with you."

There are shocks that do not use springs at all, but only air. (I had a set on my 76 El Camino)

The Vulcan shocks only use air a suppliment to the springs...which were too stiff in this application in my opinion.

Springs also waeken and sag over time, and given the age of the average Vulcan here.... Most are past their lifespans.

New shocks... Good ones ... Are not cheap. But can make HUGE differences in the way a bike functions. Racing suspensions cost thousands of dollars, and just halfway decent shocks for this bike are around 400 bucks. It's not a big shock ( pun intended ) that Kawasaki did not spend alot on the Vulcans suspension package.

·
1,100 Posts
Yeah I'm not really impressed with the suspension. Can't afford to buy new front and rears but I thought about doing the ebay thing for alternate rears. Any recommendations? Sporster shocks on the rear etc?

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Yeah I'm not really impressed with the suspension. Can't afford to buy new front and rears but I thought about doing the ebay thing for alternate rears. Any recommendations? Sporster shocks on the rear etc?
Well, Sportster shocks are noted for not being very good shocks either, that I don't think would be an upgrade...
However we Sportster riders do have an alternative, the big boys on their geezer glides with all the money tend to buy the high dollar shocks for their big rides and sell the very good Road King air shocks on CL or fleabay for anywhere from $20-$60, I found a brand new take off set on CL for mine for $40, and within 25 mi. (no shipping) met him 1/2 way and viola...
They were +/-3/4" longer and in my opinion actually helped the handling in the twisties, although I don't think that is the way it is supposed to work...
PS-here are a couple of reads to help understand suspension a bit better...
http://www.ntnoa.org/suspension_preload.htm
http://www.rc-truckncar-tuning.com/shock-damping.html

·
1,100 Posts
Thanks Old dog, I'll check them out! :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I must have an oddball model. Mine has no damping adjustment, just a 5 way preload adjustment, which I have set on the stiffest position. They do have an air valve, but I have never put any air in them, because just a little bit too much will blow the seal, and all the oil will leak out, and the shocks are ruined. Shocks can be a MAJOR ripoff. The seals were blown on my '85 Goldwing rear shocks, and all the oil had leaked out. It was like riding a pogo stick. Everybody on the forums suggested $700-$800 Progressive brand air shocks. Thiis was a bike I got for FREE, and figured on getting completely road ready for another 100,000 miles for around $1000. $700-$800 shocks on a $1000 bike? Crazy. I found some spring only shocks on eBay for $124 a pair, and ordered them, 1/2" longer than stock. Perfect fit, perfect ride (set on max preload) and even look great. Too bad they are hidden behind the saddlebags, or they would add some bling to a tarnished old bike (which still runs like new)

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I must have an oddball model. Mine has no damping adjustment, just a 5 way preload adjustment, which I have set on the stiffest position. They do have an air valve, but I have never put any air in them, because just a little bit too much will blow the seal, and all the oil will leak out, and the shocks are ruined. Shocks can be a MAJOR ripoff. The seals were blown on my '85 Goldwing rear shocks, and all the oil had leaked out. It was like riding a pogo stick. Everybody on the forums suggested $700-$800 Progressive brand air shocks. Thiis was a bike I got for FREE, and figured on getting completely road ready for another 100,000 miles for around $1000. $700-$800 shocks on a $1000 bike? Crazy. I found some spring only shocks on eBay for $124 a pair, and ordered them, 1/2" longer than stock. Perfect fit, perfect ride (set on max preload) and even look great. Too bad they are hidden behind the saddlebags, or they would add some bling to a tarnished old bike (which still runs like new)
Yeah, tell me about it, mine have all been oddball models...lol... My RK take off air shocks are almost if not an inch longer than stock, I run around 10 psi in them and 5 psi in my forks...
I'm kinda glad mine are behind the Viking shock cutout bags, they are black with some gunky lookin rubber cush stuff on them, the ones I took off were nice chrome, but the ride is well worth the bling loss...lol...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts