Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will need to swap out my stock rear shocks this winter and have been looking at some Progressive shocks. My thought is to leave the bike at the same height so I won't be getting shorter ones. What drove me to drop this thread in the mix is a couple of comments near the bottom of one of the places I was looking for shocks.

It said, if you get longer than stock shocks your steering will get more responsive. If you get shorter than stock shocks your steering will seem slow.

I know some people in here have installed shorter shocks. Just curious here but can you tell if it changed your ability to steer?

·
Super Moderator
11,834 Posts
The Vulcan has somewhat "slow" steering to begin with, so dropping the rear an inch or so likely wouldn't be very noticeable. Raising it an inch likely the same.

The danger here would be making a bike with fairly quick steering even quicker, (like a sport bike) as this could cause an unstable wobble at speed. (Picture that wobbling wheel on that shopping cart) So, not good.

It's usually suggested for those installing shorter rear shocks to drop the front end to match by raising the fork tubes in their clamps. I've ridden Vulcans where the owner has done this, and not done that....never really noticed a difference in steering or steering effort.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts