Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks new rider here, ive got a 2001 vn750, its got a sissy bar on it and nothing else super special. However, i often ride with a change of clothes, or extra jackets or need space for groceries. Long story short a trunk or large saddle bags would be superb. Furthermore, due to my lack of experience, i wont be taking passengers so that sissy bar and rear seat is essentially useless for me. SO heres my question/ idea:

Does anyone have any experience with doing a "Rear seat delete" or making a custom seat that has a trunk in place of the rear seat? The only real goal is to make a large trunk, but if i can fashion or find a trunk that has a backrest that would be heavenly.

Im no stranger to tinkering and custom making things. I also have a 3d printer so making brackets and smaller hardware is no problem for me. So hit me with your best shot. I'll take whatever you guys have to offer.

·
Super Moderator
11,966 Posts
I thought about putting a top case on my Vulcan, using the luggage rack. The problem was with a large case there, besides dealing with finding one that opens and clears the sissy bar thing, was that it kinda covered up the rear tail light. So I decided not to do it.

However I still am thinking of installing one behind my cut back seat:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/1490881656/in/album-72157602277627359/

And installing tail lights on the back of the case. This would solve both problems.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I have a top case now, I bolted the bracket onto the stock luggage rack, but I understand that not all 750’s have that rack. The issue is (like mentioned in the previous post) is you have to mount it far enough back so it will have clearance to open with the stock seat. Because it’s mounted so far back it can really flex if you hit a big bump or pothole. I‘ve cracked and repaired the rack once already so I’m sure not to overload the box anymore, but this has made me think about modifying the seat back. I don’t think I’d miss the little tool compartment but I’m not confident enough in my fabrication skills to start hacking it up, at least not yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I'm pic impaired right now .

On mine, I've got some big throwover bags with 4 Velcro pockets. Then I wanted to get the match ing tai I bag, with same Velcro pockets to mount on the back rack.

Something like a saddleman or kury backrest bag for the passenger seat, and I m ready to ride to burning man, or little Sturgis.

Backrest bags are sweet on the vn, I used a soft side cooler on the passenger seat, side pocket stuffed with a beach towel. Easyrider lazyboy. Lean back and relax, stop and raid the cooler. .....

My buddies razzed me about being ready for some paris-dakar or something.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I won't pay big money for this stuff, it's available new, and cheap if you do eBay and Goodwill. I'm sharing my secrets lately. Grab them and use them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I do have the sissy bar that has mounting locations for a luggage rack or a reinforced trunk but you can only get a trunk so big before it hangs out over the tail light and as someone else mentioned above it has the potential to crack the case on large bumps. Im talking about removing the entire sissy bar, and back seat and making a Harley-like trunk and backrest, one that opens sideways, sits right behind the driver, and hits just behind the tailights so-as not to obscure it from behind. I might try and find an old touring bike and retrofit its trunk on there? id just hate to tear into my seat and brackets and not have it work out. I might try and find a second set of seats/sissybar/brackets and just start from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts