Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can you find the rear luggage rack every where I'm looking does not show one for a vn740. I seen them in alot of your pictures on this site and i like them. Looks great for holding luggage for trips.

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,751 Posts
mine was on the bike when i bought it. sorry, i know this doesn't help you. but i would say try ebay.

·
XV500K->VN750->VN1500G
54 Posts
I made a luggage rack out of the stock sissy bar after I installed the tall one. If you'd like to see how, visit http://tinyurl.com/yoen5n

[VN750 salute]
lzzrrd

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys, I bought rear luggage rack from closest dealership. I think it is 'Fire and Steel' one.
However, after I finally got it I found a sticker on it. It says 'Maximum Load 5lbs'. Sounds really low and dealer didn't warn me when I was ordering it... :mad:
My original idea was to put trunk like AG013068T from jcw on it, though I'm not sure anymore if it's safe.

Did anybody have problems with this rack and do you think it's fine to put that trunk on it?

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Guys, I bought rear luggage rack from closest dealership. I think it is 'Fire and Steel' one.
However, after I finally got it I found a sticker on it. It says 'Maximum Load 5lbs'. Sounds really low and dealer didn't warn me when I was ordering it... :mad:
My original idea was to put trunk like AG013068T from jcw on it, though I'm not sure anymore if it's safe.

Did anybody have problems with this rack and do you think it's fine to put that trunk on it?
I have seen owners stand on their 'Fire and Steel' luggage rack. I don't know of any owner that weighs five pounds or less.

I have only seen one break so far. The person had a big flag attached to the luggage rack. The constant large changes in drag from the big flapping flag finaly broke it. The person sold it to someone else who had it re-welded and it worked great.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
I just might have that one... Was the rack in Indiana at some point that ya know of?

Rick Koen from the Y! group sent me a luggage rack (gratis) that had been re-welded at some point in it's life - seems like a previous owner had done the welding.

But yeah... the rack is reasonably strong and the 5lb limit would only be if the 5 lbs was jumping up and down on the thing for a solid year...

I'd feel comfortable standing on the thing... though it'd look pretty silly seeing me do it..

Curtis

I have seen owners stand on their 'Fire and Steel' luggage rack. I don't know of any owner that weighs five pounds or less.

I have only seen one break so far. The person had a big flag attached to the luggage rack. The constant large changes in drag from the big flapping flag finaly broke it. The person sold it to someone else who had it re-welded and it worked great.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts

That's mostly a safety disclaimer. Most any motorcycle trunk should work, and the rack should hold up just fine.
I wouldn't doubt that if a structural engineer looked at it, he'd certainly laugh at the 5lb limit and give it an easy 30 lb constant weight limit (if not more)

But you have to remember, the higher up you have added weight, the center of gravity for the bike will also move up, resulting in different handling characteristics.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought mine from my local dealer. I have been on trips and it held everything I put on it with no problems.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Shortly after I bought my 2006 bike I received a Kawasaki "Cruiser Accessories" catalog in the mail. On page 147 there is a rear rack for sale. Part number: K53020-077B for $94.95.
It says: "Designed to mount easily to the VN700 and VN750 and still allow access to storage compartment. All steel construction and finished in gleaming chrome. NOTE: Maximum load capacity 5 lbs."
The part number to the catalog is: K906MC-CAB for about $3.95.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts