Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked thru most of the threads on changing turn signals out for LED turn signals.. and I cant find what I am looking for..

I picked up a set of smaller 18 bulb LED turn signals and want to MOD them on the rear of the bike to replace my wornout/broken turn signals... my question is.. will they use the same wires as the old trun signals?.. Will I have to add anything to the electrical system to make them work?.. dont want to plug them in and fry them or anything on the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
I have looked thru most of the threads on changing turn signals out for LED turn signals.. and I cant find what I am looking for..

I picked up a set of smaller 18 bulb LED turn signals and want to MOD them on the rear of the bike to replace my wornout/broken turn signals... my question is.. will they use the same wires as the old trun signals?.. Will I have to add anything to the electrical system to make them work?.. dont want to plug them in and fry them or anything on the bike.
Yes.

You will need to swap out the stock thermal flasher for an electronic one. The LEDs don't draw enough current to activate a thermal flasher.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool.. will that still run the front flashers.. they will still be the bulb type (not changing those out...adding a light bar that I picked up off of Ebay)

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I don't see why not but it would be faster to go to your local auto parts store and get one.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
"will they use the same wires as the old trun signals?"
YES

"Will I have to add anything to the electrical system to make them work?"

NO. If the LED's are the 1156 style bulb or they are designed as blinkers, you should not have to change anything. BTW you can't mix filament bulbs and LED's in the same circuit and use an electronic flasher - read the flasher instructions before you buy.

FYI: 1156 and 1157 style LED lamps are coming down in price, getting brighter, and require NO mods to make them work in the stock lamp housing.

DT

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so your saying all LEDs for front and rear turn signals or all bulb type.. cant have LED's in the rear and bulbs in the front?... bummer..... but hey I paid next to nothing for these LED turn signals.. and I have several bulb type signals that I can try.. was going for a better look on the Vulcan butt.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

If you are leaving the stock incandescent bulbs in the front signal stocks, you DO NOT need an electronic flasher.
The stock flasher will work with one filament bulb and one LED cluster just fine.

Only if you change out all 4 signals for LED lights do you need an electronic flasher.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes.. the fronts are incadesent bulb type.. I made a sweet deal on highway lights with turn signals.. crazy cheap... they have bulb turn signals and I dont want to change those out.. just the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Yes.. the fronts are incadesent bulb type.. I made a sweet deal on highway lights with turn signals.. crazy cheap... they have bulb turn signals and I dont want to change those out.. just the rear.
Why not just swap out the front bulbs? The LED's (at least decent ones) are much brighter.

Jon

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Thanks Hoss.

CLock: I have a mix of stock signals in the front and LED's in the rear. What I meant was if you have any standard bulbs, you can't use the electronic flasher.

DT

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool thanks guys.. as always you rock!
I probably will go with all LEDs eventualy.. jsut didnt want to mess with my new(to me) light bar up front just yet.

·
Registered
737 Posts
... What I meant was if you have any standard bulbs, you can't use the electronic flasher.
If the electronic flasher unit is a 'no-load' type, then it should support a mix of incandescent and LED type bulbs in any configuration up to the max. load rating for that flasher. I used such a unit during my LED conversion. I replace the flasher first, worked with all incandescent bulbs, installed just the rear blinker LEDs one week and the front blinker LEDs a week later. No flasher unit problems in any configuration.

However, a 'no-load' type flasher blinks at a steady rate regardless of how much or how little load is placed on it. That means that all bulbs/LEDs could fail and the flasher unit would not indicate there is a problem, unlike the OEM thermal flasher unit which blinks at a faster rate (due to the decrease in load from a failed bulb). So, as part of my preride routine I religiously check that all lights and flasher units are functioning properly.

·
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!
256 Posts
I know I saw a custom LED brake light board for the VN750 on here somewhere. Does anyone know who makes it?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Chris, did you get your flasher locally? Have you ever shopped at Jubits truck stop in Portland? Great place to find LED stuff cheaper than auto stores.

DT

·
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!
256 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Chris, did you get your flasher locally? Have you ever shopped at Jubits truck stop in Portland? Great place to find LED stuff cheaper than auto stores.

DT
DT,

My local NAPA did not have the no-load electronic flasher in stock, so I ordered mine online. I found Jubits later as I was looking for a lens for a second brake light. Jubits has just about everything you need from LEDs, connectors to lens and good staff. Been there twice since, very busy place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts