Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I take the rear fender off to check wiring, am I missing anything?

The brake light wires had to be extended, so I have 3 blue wires to connect to the harness. The license plate light is connected correctly.

Brake Light will light up with a brake press, but doesn't have a running light. Also, the license plate light doesn't light.

Tail fuse is fine.

·
Registered
499 Posts
There's a red wire that should be connected to the ignition switch. It's tied into both the brake light and license plate light, and sounds like your problem.

Reactions: Thorn

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The tail fuse is unused with the stock harness. (if someone knows of a model that DOES use the tail fuse, please let me know)

One thing you can do to narrow down the problem is put the bike in park. The ignition switch uses different wiring in that position. If you get lights in park, the problem is the white wire at the ignition switch. If you don't get lights, then check the red wire from the ignition switch to the tail lights/license as calebj suggests.

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the red wire part of the harness and in a connector? The only reds I'm finding are at the coils... The other one(s) are tied up in connectors. Going to try the park selection noem

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
red wire at ignition connector and red wire at tail light connector (the other two are blue and black/yellow) and red wire at license connector (the other wire is black/yellow). Should be red on both sides of each connector listed. The red wire at the coils is an unrelated wire from the killswitch.

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Red wire at tail light and license light are connected, going to take the tank off to check the (red colored?) connector by the front coil.

Headlight is out too, does that still lend to the red wire theory?

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tail fuse is unused with the stock harness. (if someone knows of a model that DOES use the tail fuse, please let me know)
I've blown the tail fuse by shorting out the taillight (taping all the bare connectors together like an idiot).

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I've blown the tail fuse by shorting out the taillight (taping all the bare connectors together like an idiot).
IF you've done the blue-wire mod/headlight relay bypass, then the headlight would be on the tail fuse ... that might explain some of what's going on?

If you haven't done the blue wire mod, what color wire is in the very top-back corner of your junction box connector? (pin 17 in the diagrams)

The red wires to tail and license are indeed connected to each other.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Red wire at tail light and license light are connected, going to take the tank off to check the (red colored?) connector by the front coil.

Headlight is out too, does that still lend to the red wire theory?
I don't think there's a connector under the tank that would be involved? can you just check for continuity between the ignition switch and the tail light?

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think there's a connector under the tank that would be involved? can you just check for continuity between the ignition switch and the tail light?
Ignition switch - where the key goes. The connector goes down to the cluster under the tank, around the front coil. Where would I check continuity? The tail light side is easy but where in the front part of the bike should I test? There are no exposed wires really...

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IF you've done the blue-wire mod/headlight relay bypass, then the headlight would be on the tail fuse ... that might explain some of what's going on?

If you haven't done the blue wire mod, what color wire is in the very top-back corner of your junction box connector? (pin 17 in the diagrams)

The red wires to tail and license are indeed connected to each other.
I did the blue wire bypass (I think my writeup is stickied), so it's looking like the red wire is the culprit, or something else.

At work til 1230 eastern time, so i'll check stuff when I'm out.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Ignition switch - where the key goes. The connector goes down to the cluster under the tank, around the front coil. Where would I check continuity? The tail light side is easy but where in the front part of the bike should I test? There are no exposed wires really...
Yeah, I was imagining dismantling the dashboard to get at the ignition. Certainly not the easiest thing to do, but it seems like all other options have been exhausted.

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I was imagining dismantling the dashboard to get at the ignition. Certainly not the easiest thing to do, but it seems like all other options have been exhausted.
Well, I don't have Much of a dash anyway. I'm going to try reseating the connector by the front coil...

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, continuity from harness connector red wire by the front coil to license plate bullet connector and to 3pin connector. Got 280 or so.

Now, all things hooked up, key on, I get speedo light and tach light, but no others. If I bridge the red license light wire to the battery, it lights up the plate and the tail light at the right voltage, or with the right bulb (the dim light). Brake Light lights up the tail light.

Still no change in headlight

Edit: bridging the red wire obviously makes the lights go on regardless of key position.

·
Registered
499 Posts
With your meter, you get no power on the red wire at the connector with the key on?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Just to recap:
You've done the blue wire mod, so the headlight is out because the tail fuse is blown. (blowout caused by bundling uninsulated wires?)

There is continuity from the middle of the bike to the tail lights, and the 'ignition on' lights at the front end work.

All symptoms point to a bad connection between the red wire and the ignition switch, or a bad internal connection in the ignition switch.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Makes sense to me. That's what I was trying to confirm in the previous post, but you explained it dramatically better.

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Recap correction. Tail fuse is fine, incident happened a while ago. And I need to recheck the red wire... I tested the one from the killswitch.....

·
Registered
499 Posts
Are you saying that you got continuity from the red wire going to the kill switch and the light wiring in the back?

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you saying that you got continuity from the red wire going to the kill switch and the light wiring in the back?
I think? I tested from the red connector, and I should have tested the brown connector.

What about the whole "I put power to the license light and the whole tail works" thing?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts