Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I read all about it and knew I should have lubed the splines. The mechanic told me today the rear end was gone and it was a $1200 repair. I've read on here of people getting lucky and finding the parts for $150. What parts should I be looking for? Do I just search for "Vulcan rear end?" Thanks in advance, Andy

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Well, I read all about it and knew I should have lubed the splines. The mechanic told me today the rear end was gone and it was a $1200 repair. I've read on here of people getting lucky and finding the parts for $150. What parts should I be looking for? Do I just search for "Vulcan rear end?" Thanks in advance, Andy
You need a rear drive unit,I am sitting on my rear end! JK

Go to the sell and trade Section and post a want to Buy on here and check out ebay also.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
If you have a manuel or have pulled the rear tire at one time, or you can check the threads as for how to remove the rear tire. It is really not hard, just follow the easy steps. You should pull it apart and see what is really wrong with the drive. You may only need a new drive shaft, these you can find on ebay or somethere person from this sight may have one. Do not take the dealerships word as for what is wrong with it, they, I assume did not even take it apart. Try and take it apart and maybe do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
If you have a manuel or have pulled the rear tire at one time, or you can check the threads as for how to remove the rear tire. It is really not hard, just follow the easy steps. You should pull it apart and see what is really wrong with the drive. You may only need a new drive shaft, these you can find on ebay or somethere person from this sight may have one. Do not take the dealerships word as for what is wrong with it, they, I assume did not even take it apart. Try and take it apart and maybe do it yourself.
^he's right do this first

·
2,520 Posts
Hey Andy, update your profile when you get a chance. Where are you from? Lots of people here, it's possible if someone is close by you they could give you a hand.

·
Daily Rider
132 Posts
Im going to guess that you sheared the splines off of the pinion shaft on the rear end, mine did that early this spring, hadnt been lubed. It is an expensive fix but there are salvage yards that can get you what you need. Just be sure to grease it real good when you put it back together.

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
Lubricate it with high moly grease such as Honda Moly 60 or equivalent.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I bought a couple of them off ebay. Search for vn750 or vulcan 750 final drive. You'll also need the coupling that sits on the end of the drive shaft. You might find the drive shaft and coupling on ebay too. You can still order the coupling I believe from a parts house and it's not hard to change. It's not a hard job at all to replace them, and it's a good exercise to get you used to pulling it apart and lubing the splines anyway. Scads of us can help you verbally or there might be someone close enough to give you a hand. Just be patient. It might take a little while to find your replacement parts. Insist that they send you photos of the splines on the final drive (shaft end) and of the inside of the coupling before you buy! Most of the parts bike guys on ebay don't know the significance of the shape of the splines!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I bought a couple of them off ebay. Search for vn750 or vulcan 750 final drive. You'll also need the coupling that sits on the end of the drive shaft. You might find the drive shaft and coupling on ebay too. You can still order the coupling I believe from a parts house and it's not hard to change. It's not a hard job at all to replace them, and it's a good exercise to get you used to pulling it apart and lubing the splines anyway. Scads of us can help you verbally or there might be someone close enough to give you a hand. Just be patient. It might take a little while to find your replacement parts. Insist that they send you photos of the splines on the final drive (shaft end) and of the inside of the coupling before you buy! Most of the parts bike guys on ebay don't know the significance of the shape of the splines!
not meaning to hijack but how prone are the !500's rear splines to failure,Fergy? I am getting ready to,pull mine before long and do a lube job,and replace the front tire as well,Metzeler this time the Bridgestone on the front is the noisiest front tire I have ever owned ,It has plenty of tread but is starting to cup.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
I bought a couple of them off ebay...
Off topic, but I'm wondering how you got your pic to show up in your signature, Fergy? I added my pic, and it won't show up. It only shows the link.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I've never heard of any problem with the 1500's splines failing, and since most folks never lube them, I'd have to assume they did a better job of lubing them at the factory. I lubed mine several months ago and it still had some grease showing around the area. Now it has plenty of moly in it. :D

ksmnet, I used the image placeholder
by clicking on the little yellow image icon and pasting in the link to my photo. If you copy the stuff between the quotes (") in this post and change the URL from my link to yours, leaving the IMG tags and the brackets ([]) you should get it to show up...

edit: OK that was dumb, it put the image in the post instead of the text. The tag would be written like this: Left Bracket IMG Right Bracket URL Left Bracket /IMG Right Bracket all written with no spaces, and where URL is your link to your image. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
162 Posts
You can use the noparse tag to show the actual code and not have it rendered.

[img]http://www.vn750.com/photopost/data/500/latest1500.JPG[/img] would be the code to show the image.

[url=http://pages.tstar.net/~fergy][img]http://www.vn750.com/photopost/data/500/latest1500.JPG[/img][/url] would show the image as a clickable link to his website. The picture's URL is the target of the IMG tags (the part in red), and the displayed image is the target of the URL tags (the part in blue).

I should probably check my splines. I've got an '85, so hopefully it got lubed properly at the factory. However, I'm at around 23,000 miles, so it's probably about due for its second lube job. It seems ok right now, so I'm a bit hesitant to go looking for trouble, but obviously this is something that needs to be taken care of, not ignored.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a final drive that the spline is in great condition. I have also "refurbished" the outer housing, looks like new! I can send you pictures, I will take $275.00 plus shipping. I also have a "coupler" you will need that attaches to the drive shaft and then onto the "final drive" spline ($35.00). e-mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all. I updated my profile to show I'm in Oxford, Mississippi, which is an hour south of Memphis. I have already had some PMs from folks with parts. I did let a mechanic look at it and he took the rear end apart, charging me for 1.5 hours of labor. Life is in the way right now and haven't even been able to go get the bike out of the shop and am paying $12 per day storage. Yuck. Anyhow, when I get it home I'll start tearing it down back there and see what I need. Thanks again! Andy

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I will take $275.00 plus shipping. I also have a "coupler" you will need that attaches to the drive shaft and then onto the "final drive" spline ($35.00). e-mail me at [email protected]
First time posting on this site,,,,, Man I wish I had known about this site 3 months ago. I called 20 + salvage yards before I found the final drive for my bike. This one is at a heck of a deal!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I've had a couple of guys reply with some good prices but I can't get in touch with them. Anyone know how to get a hold of Mitch?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,863 Posts
It is really easy to figure out your gear ration and all you need is a couple of jack stands and a piece of chalk. Jack up the rear axle and secure it on Jack stands. Put your transfer case in N. put chalk mark on one of the U-joint caps on your rear u-joint on the rear drive-shaft.
What?

And I don't know you, so not clicking on your link.

KM

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
It's a spammer. Been reported.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts