Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After blowing out my splines I put in a good used unit. After a long ride I noticed the rear drive unit was rather warm. Not hot but you wouldn't want to hold your hand there long. Now I never felt my old one so I have nothing to compare it with. Is this normal?? I have a couple thousand miles on the replacement rear drive now. I use Lucas synthetic in it as I used in my old one. Got to 22k on the old one before the spines gave out. When I first opened it up at 15k, I found absolutely no grease, just rust and dust. I think it was never lubed from day one. There was also no grease on the front splines.

Joe

·
Registered
796 Posts
It will heat up a bit. Also check to see if your brake is sticking a bit. That will build up heat if it is dragging. With the bike on the center stand adjust the brake til it just starts to drag.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
It is normal for them to get rather warm to almost hot. It should be hotter than the brake side hub...(which you would check to see if you have a rubbing brake, not the final drive...sorry baldy..;))

"With the bike on the center stand adjust the brake til it just starts to drag."

....And then back it off a half turn...the rear brakes should not touch at all until you press the lever.

KM

·
Registered
796 Posts
It is normal for them to get rather warm to almost hot. It should be hotter than the brake side hub...(which you would check to see if you have a rubbing brake, not the final drive...sorry baldy..;))

"With the bike on the center stand adjust the brake til it just starts to drag."

....And then back it off a half turn...the rear brakes should not touch at all until you press the lever.

KM
Oops my bad. I forgot to add that last part. I was in a hurry to go put my CT on my rim. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts