Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am wondering what is recommended for the rear differential oil i am in the process of doing full service on the bike and was wondering if someone could give me a good recomendation of what to use
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
i am wondering what is recommended for the rear differential oil i am in the process of doing full service on the bike and was wondering if someone could give me a good recomendation of what to use
thanks
Per kaw manual-- API GL-5 SAE 90 gear oil.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Any API GL-5 SAE 80W-90 will be fine. Could use synthetic if you want. Recommended change is at 600 then 24,000 miles. But if you are like me, if I get a new ride, I'm changing all the fluids. That way I have my "base" line on when to do a service.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Use a synthetic. Any 70w-100w hypoid gear oil will be fine. Autozone, Napa, etc will carry it. I use Supertech 70w-120 Synthetic from Walmart...and Mobil One sometimes too.

FYI It's not a "differential".... (Unless your bike has two rear wheels......)

It's called the "Final Drive".

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Since it takes so little, and goes so far between changes, I recommend Kawasaki shaft drive oil. I still have a little left in a bottle I bought over 5 years ago. The cost difference between it and something a little cheaper is irrevalent over such a long time, and at least you know you have the right stuff. Otherwise I recommend Lucas or Royal Purple 85w90 gear oil. Yes, I use walmart engine oil sometimes, but never leave it in there for over 1,000 miles. If something is going to stay in there for over 20,000 miles, it needs to be good stuff.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
^ What I am reading here is you are saying Kawasaki oil is better than Supertech oil from Wal-mart. Do you know who makes Kawasaki drive shaft oil? Do you know who makes Supertech Synthetic gear oil?

I'd pick a synthetic off brand over a non synthetic name brand to start with, especially if that name brand is not known as an oil maker.

Honda,Kawasaki,Yamaha, etc.... just contract out to some oil producer to make oil they can put their name on. Not saying it's bad stuff, but it's exactly the same thing Supertech does, as they do not produce oil either.

It likely could be the same oil, but you are paying more because you are buying it at a Kawasaki dealer rather than Wal- mart.

I buy my engine oil (Rottella T organic) and my oil filters (Supertech) from Wal-mart......I seriously doubt I'm doing any harm to my bike doing so....

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I just changed mine out to full synthetic from Wal-mart. no complaints here at all.

Just a word of advice...if you fill to the threads on the fill hole....you will have a little come out of the drain after the first few rides....just keep an eye on it so it doesn't get all over the rear tire.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I overlooked the word synthetic in earlier posts. I agree synthetic is better, especially if you leave it in for a long time. I use a lot of plain old SuperTech 20w50 in my bikes, but change it every 1000 miles, mostly because I like clean oil in my engine. The local Cycle Gear is selling Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil for $13 a qt. That's $52 worth of oil to do one oil change. I would have to leave it in there a long long time. A lot longer than I would ever leave oil in an engine, any engine. I have never run any engine, car or bike, more than 3,000 miles without changing the oil in my life, and never will. I did drive 3200 miles up to Portland, OR and back last year, but changed the oil the day after I got back, and that was all highway miles. Gear oil is different, it does not get contaminated by combustion gases like engine oil does.

This does not apply to bikes, but gear oil in Positraction rear ends, like I'm putting in my truck, does get contaminated by clutch wear.

I have no idea who makes Kawasaki's or SuperTech's oil, but it has probably changed many times. Kawasaki oil does meet their warranty, and the first bottle I bought was while the bike was still under warranty.

Most brands of oil are not made by the company that sells it. There are actually only 2 companies in the U.S. that refine the base stocks that motor oil is made from. The same thing applies to filters. As far as I can find, there are only 4 manufacturers of oil filters in the U.S., unfortunately Fram is one of them. So not only are their filters no good, but neither are any other brands of filters that are made by them. They do not make SuperTech filters, and they do not make Emgo, which is what I usually use on bikes. I use only NAPA or WIX filters on cars, both made by WIX. We use only WIX at work, and buy them by the truckload. They can be hard to find in stores, as they are a fleet brand. But the NAPA filters are the same thing, as are a few other brands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts