Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I recently picked up a 1985 VN700 with just over 17k on it..I have only ridden it once so far and seems to run pretty good for a bike that has been sitting for 3 years,but I noticed that If I let it set for a couple hours ..when I fire it up it smokes (oil) from the rear cylinder..but after reving it and cleaning it out it runs fine and does'nt smoke after..Am I wrong isn assuming that it just needs valve seals? thanks for any advice

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey guys I recently picked up a 1985 VN700 with just over 17k on it..I have only ridden it once so far and seems to run pretty good for a bike that has been sitting for 3 years,but I noticed that If I let it set for a couple hours ..when I fire it up it smokes (oil) from the rear cylinder..but after reving it and cleaning it out it runs fine and does'nt smoke after..Am I wrong isn assuming that it just needs valve seals? thanks for any advice
Maybe...maybe not. I'd warm it up, change the oil, then ride it for a while and see what happens; sometimes, with a bike that's been sittin' awhile, that's all it takes. If it hasn't cleared up by the time it's ready for the next oil change, then I'd think about pulling the engine and changing valve seals. By that time, you'll also have a better idea of anything else that might need fixing.

And, since it's been sitting 3 years, I'd not ride it far without changing the tires, and while I was at it, lube the final drive input shaft splines.

Jim

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually just did an oil change,coolant change and new plugs,the tires are in great shape no dry rot or anything..I have only put 2 1/2 miles on it so far..lol..thanks for the info

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the tire info ill check the numbers tomorrow,and as far as the oil burning knock on wood so far after starting it and riding it more it has not done it since..thanks again

·
Registered
748 Posts
thanks for the tire info ill check the numbers tomorrow,and as far as the oil burning knock on wood so far after starting it and riding it more it has not done it since..thanks again
Good deal; like I said, sometimes that's all it takes, and hopefully it'll last.

I'd still pull the final drive and lube the splines. You don't know if the PO did it, and 18K, IIRC, is about when the second spline lube is due. Peace of mind, if nothing else; new final drives ain't cheap, and even good used ones are getting higher on eBay.

Jim

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just out of curiosity is it possible that the smoke and popping from my rear cylinder could have been caused by low voltage? I have recently had some wiring issues with my stator..all fixed now and it runs awesome

·
Registered
748 Posts
just out of curiosity is it possible that the smoke and popping from my rear cylinder could have been caused by low voltage? I have recently had some wiring issues with my stator..all fixed now and it runs awesome
The popping, yeah, altho with low voltage it'd have been a backfire more than a pop. The smoke, I doubt it; that's more likely from sitting so long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts