Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Vulcan 750 that has a hard case on the back - Unfortunately the guy that owns the moto has no idea what brand it is, or how it was mounted - I'm hoping someone here has an idea - I'd love to put a hard case on the back of mine - See pictures, and thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I have a hard case, these pics are the first one I had (cheap off eBay), I broke the bottom hitting a pothole and ended up replacing it with a Givi case. The cases come with a universal mount bracket and hardware that bolt onto the stock luggage rack.

·
2003 Vulcan 750/Sidecar
90 Posts
Kinda looks like one of the generic tail trunks for motor scooters you see on eBay. Some are great, some not so. I found a good one there for the sidecar, but you have to read all the reviews to see. You'd need a tail rack also.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a hard case, these pics are the first one I had (cheap off eBay), I broke the bottom hitting a pothole and ended up replacing it with a Givi case. The cases come with a universal mount bracket and hardware that bolt onto the stock luggage rack.
Can you tell me what Givi case / mounting bracket you have?

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
The one in the pic is a cheap eBay top box. There is truth to “buy nice or buy twice” that’s why I replaced it. I just don’t have a pic of the bike with the new case because I’m currently getting my stator replaced. This is the 34liter Givi, the bottom of the case is much sturdier, and it has stronger mount points

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Can you tell me what Givi case / mounting
bracket you have?
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-e340nta-tech-34l-monolock-top-case

Here’s the link, the bracket comes with it but I believe they sell them separately

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link - I'm looking around for the mounting bracket. I really want to see how it connects to the back of the Vulcan. Since we have the slotted back - or would their mounting bracket replace the current? (see pic)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I have the same rack on my bike, so the top box has a plastic mounting bracket that the case itself snaps onto. That same bracket comes with hardware to bolt it onto the stock luggage rack. No drilling necessary. I think there’s a video on the Revzilla link. Just keep in mind I don’t keep anything too heavy in that box, the main things I keep in there are my helmet, gloves, a few tools, and a battery jump starter. Not to mention the occasional take out meal or 6 pack lol. They make heavier duty boxes depending on what you need/want

Mike

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I didn’t have to find the brackets. That was part of the universal mount that came with the box. There’s 4 bolts, 4 square washers, 4 nuts, and 4 curved brackets that clamp under the stock luggage rack. If my bike was here I’d snap a pic for you but the shop is taking it’s good ole time getting it done.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I had a Shad SH33 on the back of a Yamaha Zuma 125 scooter. But it would not fit on the stock Vulcan 750 rack. The rack is too short. It is also too narrow, but would probably work, if you just made it longer. A welding shop could cut it and add some more tubing to it to make it bigger. But I would find one off ebay if you plan to modify it. Those racks are getting hard to find. I have the same saddlebag mounting/turn signal relocation brackets as on that bike. They are as rare as hens teeth. On the Vulcan I have the extended backrest, and just use a T bag setup. The one in the picture also has a roll bag that goes on top. I never thought top cases looked right on cruisers.

https://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u415/suitcasejefferson13/Vulcan750001_zps3874117a.jpg

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
If you prefer the Givi, here is the mount bracket, follow the link and you'll see the HW that comes with it. When i ordered the box this came with it. Installed on bike in less than 10 mins

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-z113c-monolock-top-case-universal-adapter-plate

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've had that Emgo box, and the Givi box. Had them on different but very similar bikes.

I liked the Emgo box itself at the time (she was my first!). It seemed to be fairly durable. Problem with that box was that the mount broke. I would carry groceries in it, so was probably overloaded at times. I ended up bolting it to directly to the bike, and then it was fine. Was just lucky that I didn't lose it when the attachment broke.

The Givi never broke, and had probably longer but similar usage. I don't remember if the Emgo box leaked, but the Givi did. The box seemed kinda flimsy, and I didn't realize it at the time, but for my use I much prefer a "square" box. The Givi was this weird rounded shape that makes it hard to haul anything with shape to it. Works fine for clothing, rain gear, or the like. . . .

GDI

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Finally got the bike back here’s the mount I was talking about, this came with the box.
I've found the OEM luggage rack to be completely inadequate for holding anything wider than 1ft across. I've got a mock-up of a platform very similar to that mount/adapter you've got there, but it extends sideways from the rack on both sides. It'll have a couple eyelets on it so something big can be bungied securely, or a crate can be mounted for carrying gallons of milk, etc. Still working out the kinks on a quick-release connection so I can remove the extra bulk when not on a grocery run.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Finally got the bike back here’s the mount I was talking about, this came with the box.
I've found the OEM luggage rack to be completely inadequate for holding anything wider than 1ft across. I've got a mock-up of a platform very similar to that mount/adapter you've got there, but it extends sideways from the rack on both sides. It'll have a couple eyelets on it so something big can be bungied securely, or a crate can be mounted for carrying gallons of milk, etc. Still working out the kinks on a quick-release connection so I can remove the extra bulk when not on a grocery run.
I’d be interested to see what you come up with. This case and bracket seems much stronger than the first set I bought, but because it’s a little bigger I feel like it cantilevers a just little further off the back. I thought about adding to or replacing the stock rack just for a little more support

1 - 20 of 27 Posts