Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Is there a walkthru on here that shows step by step how to do a brake job (pads, rotor, etc) for the rear wheel (drum) brakes? I cannot find anything...
I have a '92.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,824 Posts
Hardest part is just getting the wheel off. Take notes where the spacer, washers, etc are. So it's pretty straight foreword. The rear drum on this bike usually doesn't need replacement unless your over 20,000 miles, but then I've read about folks that don't use the front brake..... :|

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hardest part is just getting the wheel off. Take notes where the spacer, washers, etc are. So it's pretty straight foreword. The rear drum on this bike usually doesn't need replacement unless your over 20,000 miles, but then I've read about folks that don't use the front brake..... :|
I'm about 28 K miles currently so I was assuming it needed it too (front pads and rotor are all but gone at this point so I'm doing brakes)!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
I'm about 28 K miles currently so I was assuming it needed it too (front pads and rotor are all but gone at this point so I'm doing brakes)!
while you've got the back wheel off,its a good time to do a spline lube.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Reactions: Orkron

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Followup question:
Front rotors are a nightmare to find... only OEM for $300-$400 each (yikes) and used ones... Is there a good place to find affordable after market front discs for a '92?

while you've got the back wheel off,its a good time to do a spline lube.

Will do! Thanks for the reminder!

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
not much in aftermarket disks. hell, even rotors from a recycle yard are expensive..

but the ebay is going to be the best bet.

when I tried once to remove one of mine, I found the bolts where 'on there'. I broke an allen socket trying to loosen the first one. as of that point in time, I said they stay on. Note: I was going to remove them prior to my buddy changing out my tire for me, as a precaution during the change. turns out, didnt need to worry, his tire machine did just fine with the rotors still installed

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
why not go on eBay and just buy a whole wheel with the rotors?if the bearings are good in the new wheel it'll be plug and play,baby.

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Kawasaki-Vulcan-VN750-VN750C-VN-750C-750-front-rim-wheel/321245332958?hash=item4acbb6c5de:g:OFQAAOxyDEVSctaf&vxp=mtr
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-VN750-Front-Wheel-and-Rotors-2004/232594071932?hash=item3627afe17c:g:UFEAAOSwNchaLrkS&vxp=mtr

there ya go.

Just a couple I found in a VERY quick search

Need to remember, the bike has been out of production since 2007 (2006 was last year for them), and even when in production, there was nearly zero aftermarket support (it aint a harley where you can get just about everything aftermarket)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
...wouldn't that be more money? Especially with shipping omg
trust me,I'm a doctor.go check eBay out.I didn't check rotors,though,but I will

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
well I checked out rotors on eBay. go take a look.a little cheaper than wheels,l

1 - 20 of 21 Posts