Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that my rear brake is sticking once it is pressed. I was able to loosen it by pushing the rod back and it came unstuck. I know that you can adjust it and make it easier or harder to depress but what can you do to adjust it so it lets off of the brake. Now I know why it has been so hard to move around when pushing it around.

·
Super Moderator
11,819 Posts
My suggestion here is to disassemble the pedal and cable. Then clean it and lube it.

You might have a bad cable, you might have a sticking pedal, and lastly your rear brake might be in need of replacement, but the only way to make sure of this is to eliminate the pedal and cable.

If after cleaning and lubing the cable and pedal, the brake still sticks, you need to remove the rear wheel and check the brakes. It is also possible the cam that actuates the brakes is dirty.

A shop manual would help here if you have never done this before.

But I would make sure the pedal and cable are fine first. You can test this by unscrewing the adjustment nut on the brake "arrm" or lever on the hub all the way so the brake arm is not connected to the pedal and cable. If the cable does not move freely when the pedal is applied you will know it is not the brake itself.

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey Seminole, here is a link to the tocmanufacturing site`s free Kawasaki downloadable shop manual for the VN750:

http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/Files for Download/VN750 Manual and Parts.pdf

It is BIG, (2395 pages, IIRC) so start downloading, then go get a snack and a drink, because you have time. Save it to a folder to save time, for all the next times you need it.

I second KM`s suggestions for cleaning and lubing the rear brake pedal/cable assembly first. If that does not solve the problem, here is link to pgchimp and a similar problem he had with a seized up rear brake cam about a year ago.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9497&highlight=Rear+brake+sticking

If you have to remove the rear wheel so you can get to the brake assembly, this thread should answer most of your questions, and relieve any worries about your ability to dismantle, repair and reassemble the brake and wheel assembly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im pretty sure it is not the pedal. I can depress it and it returns. I can go to the rear tire and pull the lever that goes into the wheel to release it. I am thinking it might need something changed in the rear.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Im pretty sure it is not the pedal. I can depress it and it returns. I can go to the rear tire and pull the lever that goes into the wheel to release it. I am thinking it might need something changed in the rear.
It sounds like the brake cam is what is sticking. See the link in my last post. It deals with with the symptoms you describe almost exactly. Did you even bother reading it?:confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it looks like the rear cam is pretty stuck, I was thinking I might order a rear brake and pad off of ebay just in case when I take the rear wheel off and cant get the other fixed. Would there be any difference between and 95 rear brake and a 91? They look identical but I know how these things can be off by just a little.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts